Xion Audio Player

Xion 1.0 build 59 Beta Release

Beta Builds of Xion. These are builds that are not quite ready for Release, but need feedback and bug submissions in order to move it to Release Status

Postby Cliff Cawley » October 8th, 2006, 11:24 am

WARNING:
This is a Beta Build. That means it has fixes and features that are NEW. It is also possible it has bugs that are NEW! If you are looking for stability, please don't expect this build to be perfectly stable. It may have issues. If on the other hand you are happy to try this build out and post any bugs back in this thread, then please do!

Download:
r2 Studios Server -> http://www.r2.com.au/downloads/files/beta/qa-xion_v1.0b59.exe
OR
Xion Server -> http://xion.r2.com.au/download/beta/qa-xion_v1.0b59.exe

Changelist:
  • Add more registry keys to the uninstall procedure
  • Fix crash when id3 tag genre is out of range
  • Ensure Tray text is properly updated when changing songs
  • Add autoscrolling only if song name doesn't fit on skin text area. Otherwise it stays still and doesn't scroll.
  • Made scrolling never ending so that the song name (or parts of it) are always on the screen, no blank space.
  • Fix PLS support so that it properly supports v2
  • Fix crash when trying to display a preview layer < 0 left
  • Add wrapping song name
  • Add support for disabling the Xion - text
  • Fix crash when preview is too large for Canvas
  • Fix crash caused by crazy song name lengths
  • Fix loading from archives if file could not be found. Now loads the next available PSD if intended file couldn't be found
  • Fix pls loading when there is a newline after the version
  • Fix cropping of sliderbit when sliderbit is outside of bar
  • Ensure tooltips are added for sliderbits
  • Add new layer keyword 'tooltip' for custom tooltips
  • Modify tooltips to rely on layertype on string compares (optimization)
  • Add OnTop toggle for the shimmer window
  • Add Menu for playlist instead of buttons along the bottom
  • Add 'Random File' menu item to play a random file, even if not in random mode
  • Add support for new animation types that allow volume/balance and progress display

If you find bugs specifically related to this build, please post them here instead of the Bug reporting forum. Any feedback positive or negative should also go in here, no new threads. This way all feedback, etc related to this build will be in the one place.

Enjoy!

Cliff :)
Last edited by Cliff Cawley on January 11th, 2008, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Scarebear » October 8th, 2006, 6:14 pm

Made scrolling never ending so that the song name (or parts of it) are always on the screen, no blank space.

I love it :)

Add support for disabling the Xion - text

I love it :)

Add Menu for playlist instead of buttons along the bottom

Very nice :) Still no keyboard shortcut for 'Select All' in the playlist? Or did I miss that.

No problems for me so far though. Good job! :D

I'll have to finish the skin I'm working on to test the tooltip features...
Because skinning should be fun!
http://www.scarebear.org/
Scarebear
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » October 8th, 2006, 6:49 pm

Scarebear Wrote:Still no keyboard shortcut for 'Select All' in the playlist? Or did I miss that.

No, havn't added it yet. I took a look at it and it wasn't working quite correctly so I canned it for now, till I get some more time to look into it.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby SLoB » October 8th, 2006, 8:21 pm

cool will check it out :)
I take it you will work on adding more stuff from the feature requests/bugs and add new betas? or is this it for the first update version and no more will get into it for the next release?
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby SLoB » October 8th, 2006, 11:40 pm

could tooltip keyword be reduced? just that thers only so many chars available to put into a ps layer title
when you fill up a button for example with
"button_normal modify(x) anim_layer_switch tooltip()" then it doesnt leave much room for much else perhaps abbreviation of tt or tp would help reduce it enough or even tip

will skins being coded/designed for a beta/future version for example be backwards compatible and Xion will ignore keywords etc that it doesnt recognise?

otherwise soon enough there will need to be version compatible numbers on skins, i.e. compatible with Xion 1.61+ etc...
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby pickle » October 9th, 2006, 3:52 am

Seems to be running flawlessly for me.

I love the new playlist - it looks much better. Plus my Visual Styles template doesn't screw it up ;)

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the '-=-' that is now displayed between the end of one iteration of the song name scrolling, & the next. I'd change that to just spaces.
pickle
Xion Admirer

Postby SLoB » October 9th, 2006, 4:02 am

or perhaps user defined ;)
probably best to add it in the same space in settings, and possibly have it available in the text layer object too?
something like
app could specify a default of spaces/Xion
skin could specify in a text keyword such as pf() for prefix
app has in settings prefs user defined text box which would override any others above
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby PK » October 9th, 2006, 4:54 am

Just downloaded this version. First impressions are great, although I did find some bugs.

Bugsies:
- Before I upgraded to the beta version I downloaded the EasyColorChanger.psd and dragged it around the screen a bit.. worked great. Doesn't work with the beta version though.

- I use "play indi_pause" and "pause indi_play" to toggle between... well, these play and pause ;-). This works fine music wise but there is a little glitch in that the buttons get "stuck" until you move the mouse off and on them. See this example: http://www.myfavouriteplaces.org/pk/dingen/HPIM3641.psd

- On the skin mentioned above I use indi_active so the track layer will only be visible when the skin is active (and otherwise, with always on top disabled, the skin blends in with my icons / wallpaper on the desktop). It might be a feature, but when the shimmer is not the active window and press a button (previous, play/pause, next) the window is not activated. Same behaviour in the previous Xion version btw.

- Did you update the "stick to screen edge" code? When, again with that skin I posted above, I want to stick the skin to the top edge of the screen it works as it should (its using the top of the skin, even though its translucent). It's not possible to have the skin half of the screen though (it just jumps downwards). I see why this is often useful, but maybe you can make it to only behave like that if the skin is placed, for example, with its top edge 20pixels above or below the edge of the screen. This way one can hide big shadows, or sliders one doesn’t use etc.
UPDATE: Noticed something odd: use that skin I posted above, when dragging it slowly to the top edge of the screen it will stick to the head of the yellow dude. When dragged half over the edge (e.g. the arrow to the top edge of the screen) and then "dropped" it will move and stick around the middle of the yellow dude's head.

- Had another one, but cannot properly duplicate it, I'll update this post when I can :)

Lill feature request:
- The new playlist works great. I noticed that with the addition of only 5 buttons (previous, play, pause, stop, next) it is practically a full-blown media player Foobar style... Maybe you can add these (toggle them for people that don't want to use them). Would be nice in these situations where you use the computer solely as a big audio player (parties ;-)), the playlist fullscreen,.. great :)

Lill feature change:
- I really like the option to toggle always on top, though maybe you can have it behave a bit more like rainlendar (stuck to desktop, even when windows+d / m is pressed). And can I assign a button to this function?

uhm, thats all for now :)
PK
Xion Supporter

Postby pickle » October 9th, 2006, 8:20 am

I'm noticing some trouble with previews (I think) again. Every skin I've created causes Xion to crash when I go to 'Choose Skin'. Overlay Bar causes a crash too. When I do manage to get the previews to generate, they are garbled:

My new skin I'm making does the same thing as the 2nd example there - the preview layer gets looped.
pickle
Xion Admirer

Postby pickle » October 9th, 2006, 12:50 pm

Tooltips don't seem to be showing up when a layer is also set to 'passthrough'
pickle
Xion Admirer

Postby SLoB » October 9th, 2006, 6:37 pm

y they do, l8est of GBX has tooltips on over buttons with nps
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Nightbreed » October 10th, 2006, 3:59 am

What we need is a way to test interfaces with other beta testers with out initially releasing them before Xion gets out of beta stage.
If it aint broke, fix it anyway. You may do it better.
Nightbreed
Xion Supporter

Postby PK » October 10th, 2006, 4:48 am

Nightbreed Wrote:What we need is a way to test interfaces with other beta testers with out initially releasing them before Xion gets out of beta stage.

Just send post them on the forum and ask for comments. :-)
PK
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » October 10th, 2006, 4:55 am

yep thats wot i did :)
its up to the Xion community imo, one of the things with building up a new community is they get to test the fruits of your labour, altho if you prefer a closer knit sort of thing rather than releasing something onto the forum then thats up to the individual

way i see it is if more peeps have access to it then your bound to get something from it, altho most crits tend to come after ya release the bugger ;) well thers the answer, why weren't they ther when you dished it out for testing ;)
in my opinion you tend to get a lot of views on topics/pics/skins that are available for testing and people download them and cba to post something back in return, now thats just plain rude, if you've spent hours and hours on a skin and desperately want feedback then you need to ask in the right place, im sure the guys here will be up for supporting each other during skin design, testing etc...

there should also be a design section imo where users can discuss ideas, designs, layouts etc...

if anyone need crits, testing, help of skin etc.. feel free to pm me and or post up on the forum, dont expect that 24/7 tho ;)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Nylons » October 10th, 2006, 5:09 am

Hi Cliff:

Great job on the beta, no bug no crash (yet) :lol:

I saw you made the option for users to choose "Always on top", that's just great!

One other thing I was meaning to ask you was: is there a way to "enclose" the hot keys? I mean the hot keys would work ONLY INSIDE of Xion, because when I use certain app, i.e. Photoshop ;) and have Xion running, well, some PS hot keys won't respond, cos they only react within Xion :(

A skinnable EQ window would also be awesome !

Voilà what I had to ask so far :)

You've done an incredible work by creating this little neat app, its way of skinning is just a pure joy.

PS. I've asked deviantART.com admins to open up a Xion skins section, so soon there'll be :P
Nylons
Xion Supporter

Next

Return to Beta Builds