Xion Audio Player

[added: 109] Which way should Xion do seeking?

Feature Requests and Ideas

Which way should Xion do seeking?

Poll ended at June 1st, 2008, 9:24 pm

Seek on release aka Winamp style
50%
Seek constantly while dragging (as it is now)
50%

Total votes : 10

Postby dredd » May 31st, 2008, 9:24 pm

This topic came up (again?) in discussion of Lance's XDJ skin.

I would prefer option 1 and I was tempted to call option 2 the "GRMFZBRKNTLZ style" thanks to it's annoying and loud noise. The benefit of this option, I guess, is supposed to be that you can hear where you'll go to while you drag the slider.

Well, I can't speak for you, but I've never used the progress bar this way. I drag the slider if I'm searching for a particular time, mostly wishing that while I do so the music keeps playing normally . But if you want to hear the position it's the same (and faster) to just click the progress bar.

What do you think?
dredd
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » June 1st, 2008, 12:29 am

yep agree on #1 :)
I think it has to be that way, you know the position your seeking to with the time and percentage so you don't need the audio squabble
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby WinstonGFX » June 1st, 2008, 3:40 am

I like the squabble because often when I seek its because I am looking for a part in a song and I don't know where it is, so I use the squabble to find the location.
WinstonGFX
Xion Admirer

Postby anemovatis » June 1st, 2008, 6:35 pm

both ways with an option on the settings.
I Design, I Exist.
anemovatis
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » June 1st, 2008, 9:46 pm

How about a compromise. If you drag it normally it does option 1. If you hold down shift it does option 2?

I hate having 1 million options for everything. If I have an option for something its because I couldn't decide which and left it up to the user. Have you seen how many options some applications have? Enough to make you take one look and run for the hills as you can't be bothered sifting through them all :|

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby SLoB » June 1st, 2008, 10:09 pm

sounds good to me :)
it already does the audio squabble anyways but yea having a default of no squabble appeals :)

heheh more user options, waddya mean heheh ;)

yea some apps have far too many
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby dredd » June 1st, 2008, 10:11 pm

Sounds very good to me, too. It's Xion, not foobar2k ;) Thx Cliff
dredd
Xion Supporter

Postby FuzzYspo0N » June 2nd, 2008, 12:05 am

that sounds like the best choice (the shift combo thing) or possibly as you drag the level fades in and out accordingly so its not harsh and annoying tones , as you drag its quiet you "rest" the seek (still holding the mousebutton) and then it fades in the level u can see where it is, then skip more or release for that location :D make it challenging :p
lolkthxstfu
FuzzYspo0N
Xion Supporter

Postby WinstonGFX » June 2nd, 2008, 6:41 am

Yeah that sounds great, the option is still available :D
WinstonGFX
Xion Admirer

Postby Cliff Cawley » January 26th, 2009, 4:51 pm

This has been added for build 109!

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Lance » January 27th, 2009, 2:28 pm

Cliff Cawley Wrote:This has been added for build 109!

:shock: But that means my XDJ skin won't have the authentic record squabble sound unless they hold the shift button? The majority of the skin users that upgrade won't know that... Can't you have option 2 as the default and shift for option 1? My whole effect on that skin relies on the squabble sound. It won't be the same without it. Why try and fix something if it isn't broken. Gahhh...

[/selfishness] Lols...

EDIT: Selfish time again heh... I'm still concerned about this. It's a popular skin and I can see the messages I'd get saying it would be better if it made a noise, and having to explain to hold shift every time. Can't this be a designers choice like progressbar(1/2) or something? I sound desperate. I am. :P :shock:

Peace, Lance
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » January 27th, 2009, 7:53 pm

Lance Wrote: :shock: But that means my XDJ skin won't have the authentic record squabble sound unless they hold the shift button? The majority of the skin users that upgrade won't know that... Can't you have option 2 as the default and shift for option 1? My whole effect on that skin relies on the squabble sound. It won't be the same without it. Why try and fix something if it isn't broken. Gahhh...

[/selfishness] Lols...

EDIT: Selfish time again heh... I'm still concerned about this. It's a popular skin and I can see the messages I'd get saying it would be better if it made a noise, and having to explain to hold shift every time. Can't this be a designers choice like progressbar(1/2) or something? I sound desperate. I am. :P :shock:

Peace, Lance

Hmm, what about if I allow it as a property of the scroll bar? I.e. you can force a particular mode?

I guess the other decision to make is what should the default be. Should it make the squabble noise if you hold shift, or normally without shift?

I guess it seemed logical to make it play the noise when shift was held. On the other hand, now that I think about, you want to 'shift' without noise if you hold it down.

Ok, I'll tell you what, I'll change it back to the other way with squabble by default. If you hold shift, it won't make a noise.

Is everyone happy with that?

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby logokas » January 27th, 2009, 8:51 pm

I would go with the option of toggling the effect with the shift key, but make the default be specified by the skin.

Taking XDJ as an example, currently it authentically generates noise when seeked. Enabling the shift toggle would make it possible to remove the noise and just seek as normal.

However, the third option would be to implement both methods. Allow the seeking type to be forced with a layer switch, AND integrate the shift switch. This will mean that Lance can just make a quick adjustment to force noise seeking on his skin by default, and users can still turn if off if they wish.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Lance » January 28th, 2009, 4:12 am

Well Cliff, I'm for having the noise as the default option. It's been this way since the birth of Xion and people have been cool with it. At least you're actually adding the option for silent seeking.

I like the idea of being able to set which is the default within the skin itself...

Jeese I don't know about this really. I honestly don't see the point in all this debate and effort over changing this. It's not a bug and it doesn't affect performance. It's always been like this. Hearing the noise just ADDS to the functionality. If this is changed in any other way besides having the shift option for silent seeking, skins that rely upon the sound and all the users that use and like that feature, many of them won't be aware of the change. Skins will have to be edited and then more users will have to know that there is a skin update and reinstall them.

All this for something that isn't actually a problem of any kind. Whyyyy chaaaaange itttt? ](*,)

Peace, Lance
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby SLoB » January 28th, 2009, 8:52 am

hmm
Hearing the noise just ADDS to the functionality

I disagree, it does add to annoyability lol (oo new word heheh)

sometimes you have to break a few eggs in order to go forward!!

I would say keep the default to be squabble and shift as logokas suggested, shift toggles it and its also an option in the layer/slider (those that know of the feature will use it and of course it will be documented too in the release notes)

The thing with this, you will get some people who like using skins that have this feature as part of the skins effect but they do not like the squabble, so what will they do? simple they will just use another skin after a while.
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Next

Return to Feature Requests