Xion Audio Player

vumeter as animation frames

Feature Requests and Ideas

Postby Lance » July 19th, 2008, 12:30 pm

Not really a feature, but some extra functionality. I have screen colours set up as an animation in which the frames get toggled through via a button. That's cool and all and works like a charm, but I tried to do the same thing to change the colour of my volume meters. I set them up exactly the same, had the different colours as frames, and simply added "rvumeterlr" or whatever I needed, to each frame (the different colours). But it turns out that vumeter doesn't work as a frame.

This is rather frustratiing now as I can't change the colour of them to match the screen without using seperate psd's all together, which I don't want to do because I have 3 other shade modes already.

So, the request is, could you please allow vumeter and related names to be allowed as animation frames to allow colour toggling. Thanks cliffy :)

Peace, Lance
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » July 19th, 2008, 4:51 pm

Hi Lancey,

Yes that's actually correct. You can't have objects as a frame. I.e. how would you make a button, if it needed its _over and _down states, if they are also part of a framed animation.

I believe I did make some hacks to get around this for some objects, but its possible it doesn't work for the vumeters.

I do hope to bring an easier way to do colourings in the future though, so you may not need to do all this legwork anyway...I will :)

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Lance » July 19th, 2008, 8:24 pm

I appreciate the fact that buttons can't be used as frames for the reasons you said, but those that can, like vumeters, they're just single layer functions anyway so couldn't you allow the functions that can?

I've come up with a temporary solution as of now, but it's a longer way around it. Having to hide the toggle button after it's clicked, then show another one in it's place which then toggles the next colour, do that several times for each colour. It's meaning I'm having to have 12+ buttons where I could just have one.

vumeters as frames ftw :) Thanks for your reply though fella.

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Lance » July 19th, 2008, 8:50 pm

Ooo ooo ooo! Just came came accross that aclaswch. That looks like it could do the trick nicely with a single button. In fact, it looks more promising than an animation set. I'll give it a whirl :)

EDIT: Sweeeet!!! Works like an absolute charm. Hehe, even when you think you know all of Xions functions, there's always one you've never used...

So, the power and beauty of aclaswch is what I needed. I'm a happy bunny :)

EDIT 2: Mkay...so it's working fine, but I'm out of layer name space to fit in everything I want. I want to swich between 3 sets of coloured elements (screen, left, and right vumeter). Layer names arent long enough to fit "modify(w,x,y,z) aclaswch" 3 times. Soooo, I figured I would give the acobtrig a shot to trigger a hidden button with the remaining switches on them. But the trigger isn't working at all. This is getting rather frustrating >.<

Could you please consider shortening some layer names cliff, like modify>mod, button>but. There's lots of shorthands, yes, but still lots of room for further compression.

EDIT 3: OK so it looks like my problems are again with using Photoshop CS3. Along with the save_state not working with it, the action_object_trigger isn't compatable either. This has pretty much blown all ways of getting around my problem, nothing left to try. I really suggest updating the PS scripts to later versions Cliff. These functions that are missing are fairly important when creating complex skins. Without them, I may as well just have a plain box with playback buttons >.<

Gahh, I just want to release this already :shock: Seems like the only option I have is to install an older version of PS to work on my merged files.

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby SLoB » July 19th, 2008, 10:50 pm

if you right click on the layer and goto properties you can add more keywords rather than editing the line inplace

you can also create multiple setups for vumeters/progress, checkout Torsion, Amorbous, I have multi coloured vol/prog in Amorbous, multi types in Torsion
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Lance » July 19th, 2008, 10:58 pm

I already have the setups in place, that isn't the problem. The issue is getting everything that needs to change colour, to change from a single button. I need to change the colour of a screen, the left meter, and the right meter. I have each section setup to use the aclaswch which is better than the animation IMO :) I was just having difficulty getting things to work in CS3. I'm encountering more and more keywords that don't work with it :(

OK I didn't know about the extra layer name length so I'll give that a try. If this works, then I'm sorted. So thanks :)

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Lance » July 19th, 2008, 11:07 pm

OK the extended layer names didn't work. Here's the deal.

modify(gvl,ovl,bvl,ivl) aclaswch switches between my left volume meter colour.

modify(gvr,ovr,bvr,ivr) aclaswch switches between my right volume meter colour.

modify(gs,os,bs,is) aclaswch switches between my screen colour.

Now, when added to a button, they all work perfectly on their own. However, when they are all applied to the same button like so:

button modify(gs,os,bs,is) aclaswch modify(gvr,ovr,bvr,ivr) aclaswch modify(gvl,ovl,bvl,ivl) aclaswch

...only the first one works, the other two don't. Why is this? I guess you can't have more than one modify on a button :(

If this worked, I'd be in dreamland.

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby SLoB » July 19th, 2008, 11:15 pm

just create a basic animtype(0) set, bosh each one of those on a separate layer and add a last frame to stop that animation set
problem solved
on the button just call the anim set to play but put all the modifies in the set layers
on the 1st layer add in a dummy stop otherwise the set will run thru and u only want it to run when clicked
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Lance » July 19th, 2008, 11:20 pm

SLoB, that was the whole point in this topic. The vumeter keywords don't work in animation sets, Cliff comfirmed that.

I checked out your skins, but they're nothing like my setup. The colour changes you have are for the volume control, mine are for the visual meters themselves. Torsion has different modes for them, but it's only switching between one set of layers, I'm trying to switch between 3 sets in one go, 2 of them cannot be animation sets because they're vumeters.

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby SLoB » July 19th, 2008, 11:35 pm

thats not about putting the vu meters in an animation set just the toggles for them

you basically want to switch vu meters yes with different coloured versions so that they match the colour theme?

give each a diff id, then use the above approach to turn the previous one off and the next one on so it cycles with your theme
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Lance » July 19th, 2008, 11:38 pm

Ooo....I get you now. That sounds like a neat trick. Alright I'll give it a try, thanks a lot buddy.

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Lance » July 19th, 2008, 11:46 pm

Aah mate thanks a ton, works brilliantly! Learned something new there, thanks a lot. :)

*phew* I can finally release this thing, well, after I've finished up coding the shade modes. Cheers SLoB.

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » July 20th, 2008, 12:35 am

Lance Wrote:I appreciate the fact that buttons can't be used as frames for the reasons you said, but those that can, like vumeters, they're just single layer functions anyway so couldn't you allow the functions that can?

Actually the vumeters can take a button on top of them and hence they don't work in a layer set. I.e the button can move with the vuslider similar to a volume/progress bar.

Seems as though you got it sorted out now anyway :)

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby SLoB » July 20th, 2008, 1:29 am

cool :) nps :) glad u got it sorted :)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Lance » July 20th, 2008, 10:21 am

Yo SLoB. Where abouts would I add the save_state with this set up? No matter where I put it, it doesn't work. I even went as far as to download PS 7 (cringes) to see if it was a CS3 thing, but that doesn't work either, so I'm guessing it's not placed correctly.

I have 3 player modes and want the colour to stay the same while switching. I know that the first time you switch it wont be the same, but once youve selected, I want it saved.

So should I place the svst at in the animation set name that holds all those toggle commads, or put them on the command frames themselves? Or perhaps somewhere else? Also, is there a set place you should add the svst in the name, like after everything else or before everything? Cheers.

EDIT: Keeping in mind that the actual coloured layers aren't setup as animations, I'm using the aclaswch to toggle.

I've tried placing it on each seperate colour layer thinking that it would save it if THAT layer was visible. Didn't work either :/

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Next

Return to Feature Requests