Xion Audio Player

Cross-modify PSD's

Feature Requests and Ideas

Postby Lance » July 22nd, 2008, 10:30 pm

Hey Cliff.

While working on my latest skin, I've been coming accross many situations where new features would be highly useful. One of them is being able to use the modify() command to modify a layer inside another PSD file within the package. My new skin currently has 4 player modes, and they each have changable colour themes. The only problem is, you have to chnge it for each one when you want a new colour.

I imagine being able to type something like modify(psdname.layername) to be able to edit that particular layer in that particular psd, thus being able to toggle the themes on all of the psd's at the same time, so that the colour is already loaded when you switch mode.

I realise it would take a fair bit of work to implement and would require changing the way some of Xion currently works, but I think this would be a super useful tool for complex skins :)

Peace, Lance
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby SLoB » July 23rd, 2008, 12:18 am

Lance

if you think about the structure of the psd, you could always put the modes in the same psd, and show/hide the groups, if you put in a snap rectangle for each group/mode then Xion will snap to each mode size.

ok it might be too late but its possible to incorporate modes into 1 psd, I know sometimes its nice to keep them separated but keeping them together would enable this providing the ids were right etc..

you can put each mode into its own group to keep them separated.

might even be worth a try on a smaller layer mode to see if it yields the results, file size wise not going to be much different
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Lance » July 23rd, 2008, 12:34 am

Hey SLoB.

Aye I'm aware of being able to put them into one, already had a long think about that and wether or not to do it. But it's just a rediculous amount of messing around for 4 layouts, the psd is big as it is.

There are most always ways around things, but that's the whole point of me requesting, to make something 100% easier. Adding a single line of layer name is so much easier and faster than integrating an entire 3 new psd's into one file. No comparison really.

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby SLoB » July 23rd, 2008, 3:47 am

oh yea I wasn't suggesting it's not a good idea, in some ways it kinda makes sense it should have been there from the beginning.

its virtually the same as attribs in winamp, where its globally held value available to anything that accesses it.

in some ways its kind of cool though that each remembers its state, both Shift skins had savestate across each mode
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Lance » October 15th, 2008, 1:20 pm

Just wanted to recall this again as Cliff never responded. Basically, the general idea is to allow modify(x) to control layers inside other PSDs within the skin package. My example would be using a period as the seperator like modify(psd_file.layer_id).

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » October 15th, 2008, 9:09 pm

I don't think that providing a way to modify layers in another skin is a good idea. There are too many conditions associated with modifying a layer that this will effect. I can however provide a way to allow you to perhaps either store a value or allow some form of theme support.

I'll see what I come up with :)

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Lance » October 15th, 2008, 10:32 pm

Cool well yeah the whole idea of this was for better global theme support accross all the PSDs so if you could come up with a different solution that would be great! Cross-modifying was the only thing I could think of. But I guess there could be a way to perhaps have a text file with variables and their values? And each time a PSD loads, it calls upon the values in the text file. Or is that still as complex? Lol sorry man! Variables sound kinda cool though...

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby SLoB » October 15th, 2008, 10:53 pm

basically same as storing private ints or strings in winamp or attributes, they can be use by other modes.
should be nice and easy to store these, possibly even in the savestate file or global one per zip
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Return to Feature Requests