Xion Audio Player

Button State Fade

Feature Requests and Ideas

Postby Lance » January 9th, 2009, 8:10 am

Is there any way of changing or getting rid of the smooth transition between button states? I want my over states to instantly appear rather than fade in. Unless I'm missing something, I can't find anything in the words list for this and it's been something I've wanted for a while.

I think it would be good to have it just like a text tag e.g. faa(x). You could have something like st(0) or st(1) (state transition), 0 being no fade or 1 with the fade.

Just an idea. I guess this would be a fairly quick implement seen as you must already have created something to get the fade you have now. Thanks a bunch dude :)

Peace, Lance
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby logokas » January 10th, 2009, 11:39 am

An adjustable transition feature would be cool, but a quicker fix would be a fast 'noeffect' modifier.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Cliff Cawley » January 10th, 2009, 1:03 pm

Actually I was more thinking about something that would allow you to control the fade in/out curve at the same time.

So for example you can just have a straight fade, no fade, ease in, ease out, both.

By default it will just be straight fade.

I may also allow you to control the speed at which it fades. Could be useful for some ambient skin effects.

Its a bit over the top for a lot of skins, but there might be some instances where you want finer control. If you choose to use a particular method for your entire skin, it will be cumbersome to add the tags to all layers, so I may allow the ability to specify a global fade so that it can be applied to one layer, but affect all layers.

To answer your request, yes I'll be implementing this soon. I'll let you know more about what I implement, when its done ;)

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Lance » January 10th, 2009, 4:18 pm

Ah sweet. Thanks a bunch Cliff :)
I'm glad you agree that it's a good idea. I love the sound of a global layer. I generally just want some kind of control, I'm not really fussed on how you go about it, just as long as it's the skinner that chooses and not an option in Xion itself that the user chooses, otherwise that would just defeat the object of getting the skin to function how the designer wants it to.

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Lance » March 14th, 2009, 2:06 am

Just interested to see if you've worked on this at all Cliff. No pressure or anything, just curious as aaaalways :)

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Jikaru » March 14th, 2009, 3:04 am

Lance, I say leave it up to the user for some fade options, but the designer chooses the default setting via the skin. This way everyone's happy.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby Lance » March 14th, 2009, 3:19 am

Jikaru Wrote:Lance, I say leave it up to the user for some fade options, but the designer chooses the default setting via the skin. This way everyone's happy.

I have to disagree because how quickly a button fades its states is a design attribute, not a user attribute. I personally can't achieve the effects I want when the fade is as it is. It doesn't affect usability or functionality so there's no need for it to be controlled by the user. This is solely a designers tool, not a users.

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Jikaru » March 15th, 2009, 1:33 pm

The option I was thinking about is both a designers choice and a users choice, what if the user chooses NOT to use your skin because the fade is'nt right for them...I say please both sides by giving people an external choice and an internal default...
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » March 15th, 2009, 1:49 pm

Jikaru Wrote:The option I was thinking about is both a designers choice and a users choice, what if the user chooses NOT to use your skin because the fade is'nt right for them...I say please both sides by giving people an external choice and an internal default...

I think its a bit of an overkill having an option for fade options. That's up to the skin. If the user wants that much choice they can just edit the skin themselves. Its a VERY minimal option compared to the others that exist.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Lance » March 16th, 2009, 12:28 am

Exactly Cliff. It's just like saying you should make an option for the users to move the buttons around if they don't like the placement or toggle highlights and reflections if they think it's too shiny. Like Cliff said, if they're picky about the skin and want to edit it, then they may as well make their own, but they won't becuase they probably don't know how to, that's the whole reason they're downloading somebody elses skin in the first place!

And besides any of that, we are talking about something as insignificant as an over state takes 0.5 seconds to fade in or 0 seconds. That doesn't need user control at all. I simply wanted to be able to have some of my buttons NOT have the fade as I find it too slow sometimes for the effect that I want, as a skin author.

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Jikaru » March 16th, 2009, 8:02 am

I suppose if its separate for each button then it would be too much to apply this into the configuration window. *shrug* And actually the moving the buttons around idea has surfaced but we were thinking more along the lines of "multiple psds" with snapping capability, this would potentially reach that same effect and I think it would be a cool design concept. :D Anyway I think its good that Cliff is adding it the way he is.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby Lance » March 16th, 2009, 10:13 am

Ahh well that multi PSD is indeed a cool idea and I support that all the way :)

But yeah...

...well this was a useless post. I'll hand it over to Cliff now :)

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Return to Feature Requests