Xion Audio Player

trigger on hot key

Feature Requests and Ideas

Postby xonenine » February 18th, 2009, 3:25 pm

Could we have a couple of hotkeys that would trigger actions within the skin?xonenine :)
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby Cliff Cawley » February 18th, 2009, 7:15 pm

xonenine Wrote:Could we have a couple of hotkeys that would trigger actions within the skin?xonenine :)

What sort of actions were you meaning?

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby logokas » February 19th, 2009, 6:33 am

I don't know what xonenine has in mind, but i do get the concept. You define a keypress combination in a layer that would then trigger certain parts of the skin. They'd only be usable when the player is active, but it'd be another tool for the skinners.

Example use - Hide/Show slide-control-panel with the key '0'.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby OfficerMike07 » February 19th, 2009, 6:48 am

I can't help but think of xonenine's xcopter WIP... is that sort of thing why you're after these hotkeys?
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Location: A house, Lakeland, Florida, United States, North America, Earth, Milky Way

Postby Lance » February 19th, 2009, 8:18 am

What would happen if the user already has a Xion function set with that key(s)? If the one they have overrides it, it would make the skin one pointless and the other way around would cheese off the user because his command no longer works.

That said, I like the idea :)

Peace, Lance
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby xonenine » February 19th, 2009, 8:21 am

I would like to have a blank hotkey or combo, like our button layer, that skinners could use to create any effect really. Not so much a specific effect, but one that could be a real blank trigger.
Of course I'd like to be able to use the arrow keys and control some of my animated skins, but logokas has it right, I see it primarily for load interface, or open/show player controls.
Unfortunately, as cool as this idea could be, I am having trouble figuring the outcome if every skin hade a different function tagged, it wouldnt work.
So I'd say something the most universal, a hot key to load interface or open (skin)control panel,(for those who might want to make skins with no visible buttons) so all skins would have the same function.
I guess the idea of unrestricted assignment of the key to different functions would result in frustrated users.xonenine :)
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby Cliff Cawley » February 19th, 2009, 9:04 am

The only sort of clean solution for this is to allow skins to create custom actions that can be bound to hotkeys by the user. Problem being if the user doesn't know about them, then they can't experience your skin.

Forcing buttons on the user is not something I want to do either, especially if they change for each and every skin.

I'll sit this one on the back burner for a while and see what I can come up with.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Jikaru » February 19th, 2009, 4:10 pm

Do like winamp does and have a component (optional) that adds hotkeys for functions (and in Xions case Layer Names would be displayed) which then the user can see all the layers used and define custom hotkeys, and when they change skins the component will just add whatever layer names (or just keywords defined in Xion as a whole) that are missing this way with all skins you have user defined hotkeys that active a layer by name or keyword. So your button(defined action) can have a hotkey of whatever the user defines and "hidden" actions can be found by adding a hotkey to it, this could potentially make windows "inactive" using hotkeys too which could pose a problem but would also (if you go with slobs idea on the playlist layers lol)<-----fix that potential problem....just my thoughts.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Return to Feature Requests