Xion Audio Player

Sliderbit position

Feature Requests and Ideas

Postby Jikaru » March 11th, 2009, 5:09 am

(From my previous thread on "A few pertaining to layer names" seperated as it was lost in the fray) Oh and one thing I noticed when skinning my latest skin for Xion on build 109, the sliderbits are placed on the skin at an origin point in the center of the pixels on the layer. I would like them to be at the edges of the layer, I use opacity for inactive and active states and the sliderbits are transparent and you can see that they do not line up to the edges with the progresslr and volumelr layer names. Just kind of annoying, and im not sure if you can fix that or not.

Possible Solution:
perhaps you could have the slider bit align to left, right, or center with a layer name like:
sba(left), sba(right), sba(center) and this would align the sliderbit to the layer specified below it, this may solve my issue. but if aligning cannot be done since they are moveable perhaps you can change the origin point to left, right, or center? with a simple layer name like sbo(left, right, or center).
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » March 13th, 2009, 12:23 am

Jikaru Wrote:(From my previous thread on "A few pertaining to layer names" seperated as it was lost in the fray) Oh and one thing I noticed when skinning my latest skin for Xion on build 109, the sliderbits are placed on the skin at an origin point in the center of the pixels on the layer. I would like them to be at the edges of the layer, I use opacity for inactive and active states and the sliderbits are transparent and you can see that they do not line up to the edges with the progresslr and volumelr layer names. Just kind of annoying, and im not sure if you can fix that or not.

Possible Solution:
perhaps you could have the slider bit align to left, right, or center with a layer name like:
sba(left), sba(right), sba(center) and this would align the sliderbit to the layer specified below it, this may solve my issue. but if aligning cannot be done since they are moveable perhaps you can change the origin point to left, right, or center? with a simple layer name like sbo(left, right, or center).

This won't work as you expect. If I make it so that the sliderbit stops before the end, and you're using a transparent sliderbit, then you'll still see the slider itself extend all the way to the end.

There's an easy way around this, just add extra layers on either side to make it look like the bar is longer. You can make them into one layer and the just place it below the slider layer.

I was actually implementing what you asked but then saw that you'd still have a problem because the slider layer still extends for the full size and when the sliderbit is transparent you can see it do this and it looks even worse.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Jikaru » March 13th, 2009, 4:55 am

do you want me to send you a my WIP so you can see what I mean, I already knew of that work-around but again like I said in another thread...it's a work-around (added step). Im sure theres a way to get the sliderbit to be specified to snap on the left or right with an optional keyword. Perhaps it would work normally as it does now and if you specify a snap left or right it will do that...one less layer to deal with every time you want to rearrange something...
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » March 13th, 2009, 8:04 am

Jikaru Wrote:do you want me to send you a my WIP so you can see what I mean, I already knew of that work-around but again like I said in another thread...it's a work-around (added step). Im sure theres a way to get the sliderbit to be specified to snap on the left or right with an optional keyword. Perhaps it would work normally as it does now and if you specify a snap left or right it will do that...one less layer to deal with every time you want to rearrange something...

If I implement it like this you'll still have problems. Whether there's a keyword or not, the slider below the sliderbit still needs to draw itself. Stopping the sliderbit automatically above it, just means you can still see the slider below in a similar way that you can now.

Of course, with a 'work around' it could work. As long as your slider layer looked the same as the background you were placing it on, so that you wouldn't be able to see the slider at all.

Just because its a 'work around' doesn't mean its bad. It just means that you can achieve the result you're looking for, but you'll have to do an extra step. Whether I do as you suggest or not, you'll still have to perform some sort of 'work around' in order to get it to work in the way you want. Its just a limitation of the feature you've chosen, with the currently implementation of the slider. If the sliderbit wasn't transparent you could get away with more.

The only other way it will work in the way you expect, is if the slider layer doesn't automatically crop itself. So the bar is always either 100% shown and the sliderbit just moves along it, or if the slider is never show, but the size of it is used so that the sliderbit knows where to go.

This could be done as another keyword on the slider layer that tells it that you don't want to crop itself, you just want it to position the sliderbit.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Return to Feature Requests