Xion Audio Player

Extra option for submitting skins

Feature Requests and Ideas

Postby logokas » April 2nd, 2009, 6:43 pm

The option to add beta info to the skin. Notice how Jikaru's skin looks fine, until you start reading a jerkass long description. There is no visual cue that the skin requires a beta version.

Thus, an implementation of a Beta flag in skins would fix what could become a very troubling issue. It would simply just be a checkbox, optionally with a version number list, and that info would be displayed when viewing the skin without expanded description, above it.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 2nd, 2009, 10:53 pm

As I've said before, I'd just prefer for people to not release skins that rely on Beta builds.

Why? Because its very likely they'll be broken in the next beta build. Of course its been ages since the last public release, so people have been releasing anyway.

I think this will be fixed soon when the next release comes out and the beta's go back to monthly or so public releases. Its just taken ages to do the skinnable playlist and other features.

So essentially what I'm saying is this would just be a waste of time to setup as the releases should be flowing faster than they have been and by the time you've built a skin with the latest beta, it should have been released publicly anyway.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby logokas » April 3rd, 2009, 1:10 am

In that case, people will have to remove their skins that are designed to work in a beta.

I agree that releasing them in this state is rather troubling to say the least.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Jikaru » April 3rd, 2009, 3:35 am

logokas I actually made it VERY clear that that skin needed to be used with a beta to work FULLY, the only thing that relies on the beta in that skin of course is the Playlist, but if your using 100 then you just need the main.psd and besides, like Cliff said...

It will be obsolete when a there is a new stable release...After a stable I will update the release as should everyone else that released a skin that relied on a beta release.
I only submitted that skin under certain terms and I stated clearly all of them, even how to bypass a temporary bug with the playlist.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby SLoB » April 4th, 2009, 8:55 am

Yea I see no harm no foul kind of thing, as long as the skin specifies the min requirements and using beta then it can be updated as and when applicable.

I think due to the uber long delay till the next public beta has not help but I'm not casting blame on anyone here.

I think there is the old lesson to be learned though, release early and often is the expression, I think possibly some of that might happen going forward from the next public build. I would like to see this for a few reasons but primarily we need to create more of a buzz for Xion with skinners across the far too many skinning sites out there.

Plus feedback on what is and is not working can be dealt with quicker. I think this next release is pretty much something of a milestone though and well worthy of the wait.

Obviously skins can also enjoy the benefit of getting updated sooner rather than later if they stop working properly for whatever reason.
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Jikaru » April 4th, 2009, 10:14 am

SLoB Wrote:Yea I see no harm no foul kind of thing, as long as the skin specifies the min requirements and using beta then it can be updated as and when applicable.

I think due to the uber long delay till the next public beta has not help but I'm not casting blame on anyone here.

I think there is the old lesson to be learned though, release early and often is the expression, I think possibly some of that might happen going forward from the next public build. I would like to see this for a few reasons but primarily we need to create more of a buzz for Xion with skinners across the far too many skinning sites out there.

Plus feedback on what is and is not working can be dealt with quicker. I think this next release is pretty much something of a milestone though and well worthy of the wait.

Obviously skins can also enjoy the benefit of getting updated sooner rather than later if they stop working properly for whatever reason.

I agree fully with you. Maybe when the forums for this site get updated they can consider adding a feature to tag skins.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby logokas » April 4th, 2009, 7:00 pm

What's the forum got to do with tagging skins? They are completely separate things.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Jikaru » April 5th, 2009, 2:53 am

Updating the forum will enable better integration between the two, take a look at skinconsortium for example, in fact it is a prime example of how this forum should act in the future.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Return to Feature Requests