Xion Audio Player

Softpedia.com Review on Xion.

General Discussion about Xion Audio Player

Postby basj » September 21st, 2006, 1:51 pm

:D Hey all....
Everybody here should go there and comments on this software. I post mine few min ago.. :D. Lets put up a good support to this software.

:arrow: http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/window ... 6068.shtml

thanks.
Peace :)
basj
Xion Supporter

Postby pickle » September 21st, 2006, 2:15 pm

The review seems a bit harsh. I kind of agree with it though - the feature list isn't that extensive. Fortunately though, I view that as a strength rather than a deficit. iTunes uses 50MB+ of memory when it's running. Right now, Xion's using...11MB - and that's the highest I've ever seen it. Usually it floats around 8.

My music is already set up, so 97% of the time, the only features I use are the progress bar and the pause, play, next, and previous buttons.

...runs off to leave his comment at Softpedia.

Edit: Meh - I have to register. Never mind.
pickle
Xion Admirer

Postby Cliff Cawley » September 21st, 2006, 9:25 pm

I sent them the following private comment:

Cliff Cawley Wrote:Hi!

Thanks for reviewing Xion.

Being the Author, I just wanted to make some comments on some things you stated in the review.

The entire idea behind Xion is minimalist, yet powerful. I thought about each feature that was present and thought about the best ways it could be displayed. I prefer to think about and design each feature, instead of providing a plethora of options to the user because I was too lazy to design the program myself.

I think there were some misunderstandings in the features that were available. Mainly the Hot Keys. I guess I should have named this 'Global Hot Keys', or provided a switch to allow you to set it as a global hot key or not. Basically if you configure those hotkeys, if you press those keys *anywhere* in windows, it will control Xion. This is so that you don't need the Xion window in focus.

The volume and balance in the configuration window is for a good reason. Xion is built completely from a core and components. If you don't like the pretty Interface part, you can completely unload it from memory. How would you now change the volume and balance? Well that is what the configure screen now comes in handy for. Perhaps I should only show these options to the user if they have disabled all GUI components.

I am actively developing Xion in my spare time, as I always have been, however I decided that after 3 years of spare time development, it was time to release it. I do still plan to create more features and when adding them, I plan to desgin them so that as few options as possible are needed in order to create a great experience.

I hope that you are able to still review Xion for any upcoming releases just so that you can see the progress as the player matures!

Once again thanks for the great review, and I hope I've allowed you to understand some of the reasons why i've done things the way they are done.

There were a lot of things the reviewer missed, but I guess you get that. Couple of interesting perspectives, so i'll take those into account and see where I can improve upon them.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby pickle » September 22nd, 2006, 9:26 am

In your defence - I don't think it was fair of them to blame the program for the lack of super-shiny skins. That's why the term '3rd party' was invented :roll:
pickle
Xion Admirer

Postby cerberus » September 22nd, 2006, 5:04 pm

very unjust review -_-

Is there a way to rate the editor down?
cerberus
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » September 23rd, 2006, 9:09 am

cerberus Wrote:Is there a way to rate the editor down?

Not that I'm aware of. That's ok, you always get critics no matter what you do. Most of the time its because they don't completely understand everything about what they are using, but usually they provide some sort of insight into how to improve the application.

pickle Wrote:In your defence - I don't think it was fair of them to blame the program for the lack of super-shiny skins. That's why the term '3rd party' was invented

Hah yeah I thought that comment was a bit weird. Kind of like the reviewer was paying out on all of you guys!

I don't mind too much, if people see the light of Xion then that's great for them as they know just how powerful it can be, for those that don't? Well, I wish them luck :D

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Return to General Xion Discussion