Xion Audio Player

xmd update

Post your latest skin designs and receive feedback before you release

Postby xonenine » June 15th, 2009, 10:06 am

This is the xmd update I'm working on... :)

and with some temporary but working rgb sliders, which control all three panels...they are great! :D

xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby SLoB » June 15th, 2009, 6:30 pm

Last saw Yes in 1984 Berlin :)
Yea can't wait to play with RGB :)
You will need to play with the transparencies for the RGB layers, I found about 65-70% transparency worked well, otherwise the effect lost its clarity.
so for example get your r,g,b layers and create them at 65% transparency to begin with merged with another layer.
Also your under layers will work better with 128,128,128 unless you wanted to create rgb on top of coloured objects to give a different colour effect.
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby xonenine » June 16th, 2009, 9:47 am

I see what you mean 'bout transparencies now SLoB. I'm getting some pretty cool effects in a wide spectrum at 100% transparency, tonight I'll bump 'em down to 65% and look at the difference.

I hope everyone realizes you have to use link(x) in both the trans layer and the layer being linked. :)

Edit: placed the RGB sliders back where they were... :)

I will make the RGB sliders control themselves, changing color also, if that doesn't create a hole in the universe or anything.If it does, I'd want to go to the store first, pick up a few things... :)No, I will make them R,G, and B, hehe.

Edit: I will make new larger buttons also...
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby xonenine » June 21st, 2009, 1:35 am

After messing w/ the RGB sliders for a couple of days, it occurs to me I can set this up the way I prefer for a test. Namely, using CMYK and 4 sliders. I'll test it today. :colors:
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby SLoB » June 21st, 2009, 3:21 am

lol
erm digital is RGB, print is CMYK, why mess with it? If it was for print use sure, but it's a media player skin destined for the pc in digital format, I don't see any benefit of you putting CMYK.
Not only that but ppl don't really calibrate their monitors properly to get a close match unless using spider or another modifier.
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby OfficerMike07 » June 21st, 2009, 4:05 am

I can't even think in terms of CMYK.
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Location: A house, Lakeland, Florida, United States, North America, Earth, Milky Way

Postby xonenine » June 21st, 2009, 4:56 am

I mean CMYK in the sense that I will use Cyan Magenta Yellow and Black. It will still be RGB, I just want to play w/ mixing colors.Using 4 layers seems like a fun thing to try.

For instance, yellow is a difficult color to nail down w/ sliders, I can see a benefit to having layers with other colors( a whole channel for yellow, so to speak). In the end it's still RGB:)

Of course, we could have any number of layers or combination of colors, I didn't mean to mislead when I spoke of CMYK, I'm going to "emulate" it. :)

Later: The slider-based layers in Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow mix well too. I'm seeing that the only way to have a yellow is to leave that layer at 100% or close to it.Then just have that layer at the bottom. I also used 128,128,128 for the background, as well as black and white as backgrounds, both with and without sliders.

Lowering the transparencies to ease mixing also makes the colors murkier, as well as making yellow unavailable.It's a bit of a trade-off...

What I've learned so far is that I don't really need a green layer, or a magenta layer. Red, Blue or Cyan, Yellow and Black (over 128,128,128) make a nice 4 layer cake, hehe. Green and magenta are already easy to make with these layers.This makes yellow available, and the black slider adds another degree of customization.

In the end, I'll probably make a different set of colors/sliders for each skin.The skin below uses painted/environment mapped layers, and mixing these painted effects over a black bg works nice too, as well as adding more depth.

Edit: switched volume and progress to bottom rail so snapping to top of screen is more comfortable.Now I'll add a button to switch vol and prog to top or bottom... And another button to switch the frame to gold or black...:) Winston will be happy to hear my Geocities account is at 95% storage, hehe.I will have to start using my 250 GB site. :roll:

xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby xonenine » June 23rd, 2009, 11:38 am

update: added hidden panel under albumart for all the xtra settings, rather than have a slide out or opening panel. :)

update:added visualization color switch options... :)

update:added black, neutral or transparent background option, for three levels of brightness/contrast.

The sliders might look small, but they're easy to grab, w/ a transparent area.The CD is the hidden panel button, as well as the indi_play animation...
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby xonenine » July 17th, 2009, 9:03 pm

A brief hiatus ensued, prompted by the reciept of 60 lbs of soapstone and 30 lbs of alabaster, hehe. I have to get some carvings done, to sell, and a couple of pcs...

but I'm keeping up to speed, and will paint in about a week, when I can't stand it anymore. As Djinn has noted, it is good to step back from your work a moment... :)
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby xonenine » October 16th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Well, that was a bit more than a week. :) I have been doing nothing but collecting fossils and carving various types of stone for months.Then I found an unsearched creek bed with literally thousands of fossils , some as big as my hand and filled with crystals and quartz.That just got me started going to a different creek or two every week, with great success.

The soapstone and alabaster were followed by opals, agates, geodes, fire agate, thundereggs, and various other stones.I can't even say how much fun it is.The house is full of rocks, everywhere, hehe.(Yes. they let me split geodes in the living room)

But finally, it's given me some skin ideas too, to finish this and mUOn.

This will get a glass type frame around it linked to the RGB sliders as well but with some nice light and/or reflection effects inside and off of the glass, as I wanted to treat the frame in x1024, the fullscreen skins' menu.
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby SLoB » October 16th, 2009, 6:56 pm

You selling any of those rocks for money? heheh ;)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby xonenine » October 17th, 2009, 3:26 am

i am, hehe, and the fossils.I'm carving bottles and jars out of stone and crystals and gems.And making jewelry out of the broken fossils.I am trying to "carve" a niche of carved and stone products that are unique.And a lot of "tobacco" pipes, of course, but I have to carve what people will buy. :) :roll:
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby SLoB » October 17th, 2009, 4:02 am

I used to carve and whittle :)
Don't anymore though but may do when I retire, I used to be a bench joiner years ago so was very much into carving, woodturning etc..
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby xonenine » November 5th, 2009, 12:39 pm

The sliderbit animation color change coding has left this slider method obsolete, at least to me.

It would be pointless to make sliders like this except for very specific skins, seeing a good spectrum with any color can be acheived using slider animations(Including the yellow I never shut up about} with a single slider.

I'll finish the skin regardless, it is good to have an example/template for the times when multiple sliders would be wanted/necessary.And this is transparency based after all, where the other method is frame-based :)
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby SLoB » November 5th, 2009, 8:16 pm

You've missed the point of having 3 separate layers xonenine!

Frame based is NOT a good alternative! It means you have to clone whichever layers you want colour for and about 20-40 frames, so extra work, extra filesize, extra bloat.

RGB = 3 layers = shed loads of possible colours not just 20-40, coupled in with also allowing RGB across multiple layers such as background, lcd, buttons etc... makes it so superior a method.
The only other alternative would be to use gammagroups akin to the way Winamp works.
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Next

Return to Pre-Release Skin Designs