Xion Audio Player

Skin rating

Skinning Questions, Suggestions and Ideas

Postby fox619 » September 25th, 2009, 7:11 am

Just for interest sake, as a beginner in skinning, what is the difference between a 5 star skin and all the rest?
fox619
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » September 25th, 2009, 8:58 am

Ideally it would be based on an objective rating system, however since its a rating system driven by the members of this forum, its very subjective.

Perhaps some of the forum members will post what they feel makes a 5 star skin (and the levels below)

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby djinn2 » September 25th, 2009, 2:43 pm

First and foremost its a matter of personal preference as regards any users individual rating. For a skin to achieve a 5 star rating it requires something special. There are only seven 5 star skins on the skins page currently and of those only XDJ and Alexis have more than 10 votes. In both of these skins I'd say that the high rating is due to eye-catching and innovative design with clever use of animation.

Functionality, usability, design and innovation are the main reasons for a high rating, it's wonderful when a skin has all these properties. There are quite a few skins for which I awarded a high rating that I hardly ever use as I prefer functional skins that don't get in my way even though the skins look great and are fun to use.

The downside with the rating system is that it only works if people bother to vote on the skins. I have a bad habit of just ignoring skins I don't like the look of whereas I really should give them a rating.

I voted on your iSoundSystem skin btw fox619 :wink:
djinn2
Xion Admirer

Postby Cliff Cawley » September 25th, 2009, 2:57 pm

djinn2 Wrote:The downside with the rating system is that it only works if people bother to vote on the skins. I have a bad habit of just ignoring skins I don't like the look of whereas I really should give them a rating.

I've thought about this, and was thinking that rating skins might give you points on your account, allowing you to do something else...I.e. award badges to people or something. I'll think some more on it, but does this peak anyone's interests enough for me to develop it some more?

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby logokas » September 25th, 2009, 3:30 pm

WHERE'S THE AWARD SYSTEM, CLIFF.

GET ON THAT.

:<
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby SLoB » September 26th, 2009, 1:00 am

Points means prizes ;)
It also encourages more activity.

Hmm ok instead of perhaps rating as it is where skins have also had 5 stars at some point but averaged out over time, then perhaps showing the numbers of ratings would be a good addition?
We already have the weighted average but showing the individual votes of ratings I think would also help put skins in context
i.e.
Stars
1 2 3 4 5
8 3 8 4 3 - avg 5.25 for example
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby fox619 » September 26th, 2009, 5:22 pm

I think this new rating system would be a great addition to the Xion skinning section.

Maybe when giving ratings, divide it into subsections like design, functionality ect. and ending up with an average total. This would give an idea as to which areas are just brilliant :wink: and which are needing improvement.

Fox
fox619
Xion Supporter

Return to General Skin Discussion