Xion Audio Player

sound effects

Feature Requests and Ideas

Postby xonenine » November 9th, 2009, 10:29 am

Will we ever be able to make sound effects for skins? :)
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby SLoB » November 9th, 2009, 7:49 pm

This was always deemed a bad idea in the Winamp camp, still not sure if it should be allowed even though I've also wanted it in the past. I believe there is already an old thread on it in the feature requests if you look back a few pages ;) It may have more discussion on the topic! ;)

http://xion.r2.com.au/community/vwtpc.php?t=504
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby logokas » November 9th, 2009, 11:03 pm

Kindly remind yourself that this is an audio player, not a tech gadget that has colourful lights and makes a sound every time you do something with it.

Sound effects on a skin really doesn't work out very good, even though it SOUNDS good.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby djinn2 » November 10th, 2009, 1:27 am

You can have sound effects any time with any skin just by playing audio files. I can't see the point in adding them to the skins and if they were there I'd either not use the skin or disable them. I have no sound scheme enabled in Windows so I definitely don't want one for Xion.
djinn2
Xion Admirer

Postby Vinnie84 » November 23rd, 2009, 11:57 am

one question? do skinners create a skin for their own personal use? or do they create for other people to use and admire?
i do think that having endless tools and options open for creation is a good thing, why limit and discredit?

sure winamp did this and winamp did that
winamp is a bucket of $h!7 and thats why we are all here...
Cliff does it better :P
Xion does it better :P

i seriously cant think of too much else for cliff to add to xion except for these sorts of bells and whistles
Vinnie84
Xion Supporter

Postby xonenine » November 23rd, 2009, 1:00 pm

Well I'll just add that the only place I see/saw (hehe) for sound effects is when the skin opens or closes.You know, a couple of clicks and a whirr or some such.Something like the shutters WMP uses for the halo and half life skins.(I never really tried winamp) Or the guns in my intro for the robot types.

Beyond the intro, even I think it's kind of annoying, like some of the windowblinds skins, I have to admit I got tired of the voices that were added to buttons.

I was thinking more along the lines of just being able to specify a sound file, like when sonique or Xion would first open.
Last edited by xonenine on November 23rd, 2009, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby lewa » November 23rd, 2009, 1:06 pm

It's great for opening the player. Might be annoying for anything else and would disrupt musical enjoyment.

I see the biggest problem with it being storage. Would be a semi-advanced system to play an mp3 as a sound effect with proper timing, and a WAV might take up a lotta space. But I'm a bit conservative ;)
lewa
Xion Supporter

Postby Vinnie84 » November 23rd, 2009, 5:46 pm

yeah a wav would be a bit bulky, but why not use mp3? or even midi for some also i think it would just be a cool idea :D too many times i have opened a slider and not heard the old si fi bzzzoo000ooort of a door opening hahahahaha
Vinnie84
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » November 24th, 2009, 12:23 am

Seems like this is a lot of interest in this one, perhaps we should add it to the feedback tab on the left over there <--- ;)

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby xonenine » November 24th, 2009, 9:47 am

I'd use .wavs from my game libraries and unrealed.(for one thing I have a library all ready filled w sounds of doors, switches, fans, elevators, wind,rain, etc) :) I'll add this to the feedback tab :)
And yes, it's alot of fun sitting there deciding which shhhwoossshhh to add when a door opens and such... :lol:
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby Vinnie84 » November 24th, 2009, 4:28 pm

if it happens then this will make animations 200% more effective
Vinnie84
Xion Supporter

Return to Feature Requests