Xion Audio Player

animation delays

Skinning Questions, Suggestions and Ideas

Postby xonenine » February 15th, 2010, 1:07 am

I was wondering if there is another way I might adjust the speed of animtypes(3,4,9,10,11), being that delay doesn't affect them.

In making this latest dance animation skin, I've upped the # of animation frames to 40 per dancer.This has helped clean up the animations blurring when using fadebetween.(so does the proper color background)

When animating w/o fadebetween, the 40 frames is still far too few, the result animates about 4 times as fast as wanted.

Without using fadebetween, I'll have to use about 100+ frames per animation.(not that I wouldn't, hehe)

Even w three dancers, and no clean-up yet, the skin is only 1.70 MB w/ 40 frames per anim.So, it won't be the end of the world if it has to be 100 frames x 3, it would still be reasonable in size.

Any thoughts appreciated, xonenine. :)
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby logokas » February 16th, 2010, 3:58 am

Make them slower and they will look choppy.

Animations are meant to be so large, because this method of animation has no optimization. Fading won't make it look much better either.

For one particular movement, you need at least 8 frames for it to look good, and that's maybe 1 second of animation.

For small scale animations, you really need something small to go with. Like sprites, for instance.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby lewa » February 16th, 2010, 7:07 am

In my opinion, <30fps = bad.
lewa
Xion Supporter

Postby xonenine » February 16th, 2010, 9:43 am

Thanks, Logokas, I want to be sure I'm not overlooking some simpler solutions... :)
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby xonenine » February 17th, 2010, 2:34 pm

There were 2 ways to approach this. I made a 65 frame, and doubled the frames for a 130.I also made anims w 30 frames, then w each frame doubled, and again w each frame tripled, for 90.The end result is that it looks even choppier, but (and because) it's faster.

The fadebetween type can be tuned w the help of the right bg, and even glass above to act as a mask.Reducing the amount of frames is better for fadebetween, providing the most distinct responsive movements w/ the least blur.

The final, which responds the best, had 30+ frames each anim, w every 3rd frame of motion deleted.As counter-productive as that sounds, you can see why it works.

More moves w less fadebetween states each frame...it is dancing great now, both slow and fast. :)
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby xonenine » February 21st, 2010, 7:29 am

I never onion-skinned the animations, tho', one time I'll try that also, w the new sexier girl dancers maybe... :)
xonenine
Xion Freak

Return to General Skin Discussion