Xion Audio Player

fonts

Feature Requests and Ideas

Postby SLoB » October 3rd, 2006, 5:29 am

Hi Cliff

Can we have a font option for force fixed width please, its more noticeable on the timer when centered across a space and would look so much better with a fixed char width :)

also hav shadow option for text along with shadow colour support and possibly inbuilt blur again with options
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Cliff Cawley » October 3rd, 2006, 6:39 am

SLoB Wrote:Can we have a font option for force fixed width please, its more noticeable on the timer when centered across a space and would look so much better with a fixed char width :)

Why not just use a fixed width font? I use the standard windows font calls, which automatically obeys whatever font you use. If you just use a fixed width font for your layers, then it should be fixed width. I'm assuming this is what you mean?

SLoB Wrote:also hav shadow option for text along with shadow colour support and possibly inbuilt blur again with options

Haha are you trying to make the song title unreadable? ;) You can actually already fake shadow colour by creating a second layer as seen in some existing skins. As for defining the colour, how would you do that if the foreground colour already determines the area that the text scrolls in, as well as the foreground colour?

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby SLoB » October 3rd, 2006, 7:12 am

yes to the fixed width but for being able to package any font with the zip thats not installed in the users pc not all of them obey fixed widths but still look cool, Winamp has force fixed width attrib

heh, no not trying to make songticker totally unreadable ;) Winamp again has colour option for shadow altho now with seeing how Xion works with font colours look like different coloured shadows arent really gonna work

Unfortunately most comparisons are going to be made against Winamp as this has one of the best skinning engines amongst media players other than it takes so long to get something decent together for it ;) so forgive the numerous comparisons I make from time to time ;)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby SLoB » October 7th, 2006, 9:12 am

Cliff have you thought about adding bitmap fonts into Xion?
seeing as you already have bitmap code from the Quake 3 name changer ;)
just an idea :)
means we could create our own fixed width fonts out of any non fixed width font :)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby SLoB » December 17th, 2010, 1:32 am

* BUMP * heh talk about resurrection ;) :lol: :roll:
Lack of forced width on non fixed width fonts really noticeable on timers :(
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Cliff Cawley » December 17th, 2010, 7:25 am

SLoB Wrote:* BUMP * heh talk about resurrection ;) :lol: :roll:
Lack of forced width on non fixed width fonts really noticeable on timers :(

I'm curious how this can work. If W is 16 pixels across, and 1 is 5 pixels, whicle 8 is 12 pixels, does that mean you want me to draw every character 16 pixels wide? There would be large gaps between some characters, making it look like spaces. Or have I missed something?

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby SLoB » December 17th, 2010, 7:42 am

See how Winamp looks at fixed width (pretty much as you have it above and centre based would be the approach here for any characters.), they support both fonts and bitmap fonts. Obviously with the bitmaps it's down to the skinner on where to place the characters.

For example set up a time layer and watch the characters of non fixed width fonts move back and forth. The : should be static imo.
How about if not supporting fixed width fonts then be able to split out the timer and time (sys time) into hours, minutes, seconds so then we can place the : markers in a static fashion.
Also any way to remove the flashing of the : in the sys time?
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Return to Feature Requests