Xion Audio Player

RGB for Skins (loads of possibilities) :)

Tips, Tricks and Techniques for creating amazing Xion skins

Postby SLoB » December 17th, 2010, 1:25 am

Quick example of a working RGB set of sliders, credit would be nice if you use the idea but not essential ;)

Loads of possibilities with this and none of the hacky workarounds using lots of layers or lots of interfaces to get colour options out there.

Use RGB colour on base skin layer(s), lcd, texts etc...

Download RGB Test Skin HERE

Now we just need Cliff to add the functionality for transparent layers onto the PL (so that the same sliders can change the pl too) ;)

Enjoy :)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Cliff Cawley » December 17th, 2010, 7:27 am

Actually, rather than allowing all of these 'hacks', I'd much rather just support the tinting of the layers themselves :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby SLoB » December 17th, 2010, 7:37 am

Yea, I think there's a feature request for that somewhere buried in the vault ;)
Still, the above is a clean way that will work regardless (not too hacky?) and still save on either lots of psds or layer sets ;)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby logokas » December 17th, 2010, 10:18 pm

I could be wrong here, but shouldn't moving the bars at the exact same time to exact same values simulate a change from white to black, creating a grayscale effect?

If so, there are some minor inaccuracies with this RGB system, which probably limit the colors in some way, but i still like the execution of it. Well done.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby SLoB » December 17th, 2010, 11:59 pm

The rgb layers are set at 70% to begin with so they blend better (especially if using rgb layers on top of other layers), it's the idea there for people to pick up more than anything.
Solid layers would work well if those rgb layers were underneath transparentish other layers and should produce the grayscale more so.
A background colour could be added to change things, I've even added in a brightness layer on something I'm working on to add yet another depth.
I found 65% transparency to begin with works for the majority of things, but adjust things to suit and it should still provide something better than using lots of coloured layers or lots of psds to achieve colour theming.
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Pixel-Z » December 18th, 2010, 3:18 am

Thank you very much Slob! :)
Pixel-Z
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » December 18th, 2010, 9:42 pm

Thanks Pixel-Z :)

Remember to adjust your skin coloured layers (inc initial transparency) according to the effect you want to create.
Could even start off with a base colour to change into some completely different colours, plus add effects to those colours too.
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby regener8ed » January 30th, 2011, 7:01 am

interesting approach, gives me some ideas to explore to streamline some things on my own skin. thanks!
regener8ed
Xion Supporter

Postby regener8ed » February 2nd, 2011, 2:04 am

the skin i've been working on has an animation to shift through a color palette, but i'm bothered by the way that sort of animation impacts the filesize. your post got me thinking in another direction, so i whipped up a test skin to demo shifting colors with an animation (not using sliders.) this one animates during playback, but obviously animation could be triggered by anything. the bonus here for me is that a limited number of color layers can provide the illusion of many without increasing the filesize. doesn't really seem to make a difference on processor use.
Last edited by regener8ed on February 2nd, 2011, 2:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
regener8ed
Xion Supporter

Postby regener8ed » February 2nd, 2011, 2:05 am

well, phooey. do i have to have a certain number of posts to use url's?

RGB Test Skin

edit: heh, maybe the magic number is 5.
regener8ed
Xion Supporter

Return to Tips, Tricks and Techniques