Xion Audio Player

Creating Knobs Easily

Tips, Tricks and Techniques for creating amazing Xion skins

Postby Lance » April 11th, 2013, 4:36 pm

I mentioned this in another post but I'll give it a proper home here.

Now that knob creation is available, I HIGHLY recommend using the freeware program Knobman.

Grab it here: http://www.g200kg.com/en/software/knobman.html

If you can, use the new Java version instead of the regular. It has a much better inferface.

So why Knobman? Well since Xion handles knobs via animations, you need a method to quickly create a ton of frames. Knobman allows you to set however many frames you want between min/max and render them out individually ready to drop into your skin. The real guts of the app though are in it's animation functions. It comes with a bunch of fundemental vector shapes which can be animated via rotation, size, masks, etc. You can in fact design a great looking knob from scratch with the app, but I personally prefer to design in Photoshop then import the graphic and add an animated line or marker over the top. Possibilities are endless though.

So there you go. Highly essential tool for any GUI designer's arsenal.

Peace, Lance
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby SLoB » April 11th, 2013, 9:09 pm

Skinconsortium had a Photoshop script for rotating an image for things like this too, http://forums.skinconsortium.com/index. ... readID=133 although was for older PS versions, probably wouldn't take much to make it run in later versions.
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby logokas » April 11th, 2013, 10:29 pm

I used to have a very simple program for sprites, which rendered an image with as many rotation frames as you wanted. Would probably do a good job here, too.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Junior Alves » June 29th, 2013, 12:32 pm

Works on C6?
Junior Alves
Xion Supporter

Return to Tips, Tricks and Techniques