Xion Audio Player

borked unicode

Anything and Everything not directly related to Xion. Catchup with friends, send links, chat, have fun. Just keep it clean

Postby OfficerMike07 » May 18th, 2009, 2:58 pm

Unicode characters seem to be displaying improperly as of late. They appear as below in Firefox, appear as blank spaces in Chrome, and also don't display properly in IE. Anyone know how to fix it?

Vista Home Premium SP2, 32 bit

An example:
The product description on this page shows up like this:
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Location: A house, Lakeland, Florida, United States, North America, Earth, Milky Way

Postby Jikaru » May 18th, 2009, 11:56 pm

It is Wal-Mart's terrible coding...happens to me too.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby logokas » May 19th, 2009, 5:42 am

Yeah, Walmart is to blame here, nothing else.

Although i'd say you have a much bigger problem right now.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby OfficerMike07 » May 19th, 2009, 6:28 am

I have been seeing this on other websites lately too, so I wasn't thinking it was the site to blame.

logokas Wrote:Although i'd say you have a much bigger problem right now.

What's this a jab at this time? Vista? Sidewinder X8? Viewing product info on walmart.com?
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Location: A house, Lakeland, Florida, United States, North America, Earth, Milky Way

Postby Jikaru » May 19th, 2009, 11:50 am

The mouse looks good, but the functionality is lacking...a good mouse has like 8 buttons...and a this new thing thats floating around where you put it on a charger when your done with it.

Also Wal-Mart sucks, I will agree with that, we have them here in Florida and I prefer Target or a place that is more targeted toward computers for that kind of stuff.

And I will also say Vista sucks...but Windows 7 will soon fix that. For now I'll stick to my non-aggravating XP or Mac OSX.

But as for the Unicode thing...it is just the sites using characters that are not supported on all fonts...like bullets and extended hyphens etc etc. So they show up like blanks or random Unicode garble. Blame Wal-Mart or whatever sites you visit that do that...
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby OfficerMike07 » May 19th, 2009, 12:37 pm

I'm not going to be using my X8 as my only mouse; I'll still use my MX Revolution for probably everything but gaming. I've never really been able to develop an affinity toward mouse buttons in gamin, though I utilize all my Revolution's buttons in everything else, for some reason.

WalMart is where I do most of my physical shopping. It's less than a mile from my house, whereas the nearest Target is probably six miles. It's perfectly convenient, open 24/7, and has anything I need on a regular basis. If I'm buying anything computer-related, I usually get it from NewEgg. I don't remember why I was looking at WalMart's site, only that that's where I had some text problems.

Again, Vista not been a direct source of problems for me at all; I still don't know what everyone's complaining about. OSX was the biggest annoyance for my in my graphics class... CS3 programs would crash just about every class, when the crappy-specced Vista Dell machines ran them just fine. Plus I had Expose messing with my head every time I'd move my mouse to click on a tool, even when I didn't go all the way to the corner. PITA. I know it can be turned off, but sheesh. I'll go all the way to the corner if I want it! And the horrendous keyboard "shortcuts" gahhh!!! *rips hair out*

/Apple rant
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Postby Jikaru » May 20th, 2009, 12:54 pm

The keyboard shortcuts are mostly all the same...besides well the "Windows button" and the fucked up way they look in a mac environment.

I love to make macros on my buttons on my mouse...so useful.

Wal-Mart is closest to me too and that's where I do all my shopping as well...but for anything computer...I goto NewEgg or Alienware or the Mac store. Im planning on getting a mac one day.

btw Mac's are the OG of computers and I have never had a problem with programs crashing in any of my classes but with Windows computers I have problems all the time having resource problems and slow performance. (WORSE on Vista computers)

Vista's resource management is just one of the reasons (the main one though) why I won't upgrade, the annoying pop-ups always asking "Are you Sure?" "This may adversily effect your computer!" "Are you really sure? (half way through installing something)"

Half way through installs it will stop and ask random crap...when on my XP I just walk away for a while and I don't have to worry about Vista interrupting.

Speaking of resource management, take a look at system requirements on the majority of games and other high-end programs on a Mac OS in comparison to a Windows OS. Mac OS has almost always HALF the requirements, which in turn gives you more to work with at once...and for me that's bigger than anything Windows could do for me.

Windows 7 may be less resource usage than Vista by half but its still almost double that of the XP standard resource usage at Initial boot!

I can't wait to switch to a Mac OS when I get a new computer...but don't get me wrong of course im gonna keep Vista sitting in the background for when I need to do something Windows based...
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby OfficerMike07 » May 20th, 2009, 4:32 pm

Some of the shortcuts use command in place of control, some don't. Most annoying were the inconsistencies in keyboard shortcuts between Firefox and Safari.
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Postby Jikaru » May 20th, 2009, 11:13 pm

Command is always in place of control on a mac, BUT if you use a windows based keyboard...control is standard and used instead of command. Iuse both Safari and Firefox on Mac environment at school...they had the same keyboard shortcuts...most common shortcuts never change there is a universal standard to what shortcuts should be.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Return to General Off-Topic Discussion