Xion Audio Player

Xion not playing all songs when in random mode

Discuss potential bugs with other users or try to find out a solution to an existing bug

Postby Freya » October 28th, 2013, 6:00 am

Hello, I hope I've posted the thread in the right section. If not, I apologize in advance.
I love the Xion player - it is light-weight and the sound is great, but I have noticed something that I can't seem to find answer for - every time I set it on random track order play, it would only play a bunch of songs, but NOT all songs from the playlist. I've tried to mix the playlist, change the way they are sorted - but nothing helps. I have a playlist of over 50 songs, and it would only spin 15, for example. Can anyone help me with this? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance!
Freya
Xion Supporter

Postby Lance » November 1st, 2013, 2:26 am

You know, I've been noticing that myself.

Could you first check, though, that none of your files are corrupt and simply skipping? By corrupt I mean specifically with Xion playing them, no other players. I have the odd track that Xion dislikes for whatever reason, even when they're part of a purchased album.

One thing I've noticed is that the random algorithm does the exact same thing every time. I have playlists I open nearly every day and they ALWAYS start on the same track and as far as I was paying attention to them, always play the following tracks in the same order each time, to the point were I started to learn the order of what should be random. I have to manually 'mix' the playlist if I want a fresh shuffle which kinda defeats the purpose.

I understand random algorithms can be a bitch, but it could certainly use some rethinking. Seems that at the moment it's basing it's choice off of the properties of the playlist itself instead of an external variable, such as system clock, which is always changing.
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » November 1st, 2013, 4:20 pm

Hi all,

I seed the random number generator with the system clock, but only when the Playlist window is first created. I assumed I wouldn't need to seed it after every random run, but looks like I do!

If you restart Xion, does the random order change? It should!

Cliff :-)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Return to Bugs (Release Build)