Xion Audio Player

Xion 1.0 build 113 Beta Release

Beta Builds of Xion. These are builds that are not quite ready for Release, but need feedback and bug submissions in order to move it to Release Status

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 13th, 2009, 5:00 pm

WARNING:
This is a Beta Build. That means it has fixes and features that are NEW. It is also possible it has bugs that are NEW! If you are looking for stability, please don't expect this build to be perfectly stable. It may have issues. If on the other hand you are happy to try this build out and post any bugs back in this thread, then please do!

Download Installer Version:
r2 Studios Server -> http://www.r2.com.au/downloads/files/beta/qa-xion_v1.0b113.exe
OR
Xion Server -> http://xion.r2.com.au/download/beta/qa-xion_v1.0b113.exe

If you receive errors when running, install the VS2005 Runtimes
Download from Microsoft -> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647&displaylang=en

Changelist:
  • Fixed the crash when resizing the playlist for extended periods of time - Thanks Jikaru!
  • Fixed pressing play while the current song is playing so that it now correctly restarts the song
  • Fixed the issue with the pl_list layer not aligning correctly
  • Modified the loading of the playlist size so that it automatically increases its size if the playlist skin that is loading has a larger minimum size
  • Fixed the playlist startup process so that the playlist is correctly rendered once before it is visible on startup
  • Fixed the playlist scrollbar so that it correctly displays the count of items, taking into account the current items visible on screen
  • Modified the snaprectangle layer so you no longer need to specify the default values
  • Updated the Playlist Skin load process to fix a minor redraw issue when first refreshed
  • Updated Playlist scrollbar refresh locations
  • Fixed a problem when snapping windows to the bottom and right edges of a skin that had a smaller snap rectangle
  • Ensured that the playlist is refreshed when its shown after being invisible
  • Fixed the indicator animations not properly fading out when they are inactive - Thanks Dilinger!
  • Fixed the highlighting of the previous skin in the Skin Chooser window so that the selected item is moved properly into view
  • Fixed the "Show Item Numbers" menu item not being checked when the option was enabled - Thanks OfficerMike07!
  • Made 'New Playlist' clear the currently playing song if its stopped, but leave it alone if its paused or playing
  • Made 'Load Playlist' play the first song in the new playlist that you load, instead of playing a song from the old playlist
  • Fixed a bug where Clearing a modified playlist and cancelling the request to save would mean that the playlist was no longer marked as modified
  • Tweaked some threading code in the playlist in order to avoid some potential thread locks
  • Added support for the playlist menu buttons for each of the existing menus, File, Edit, View, Add, Remove and Control. Updated the Default Playlist to use these.
  • Fixed alignment of layers that used anchortl/anchortr in order to center. Now centers properly with an offset so that everything isn't stuck exactly in the middle
  • Fixed the positioning of the Search box canvas object so that it uses the current position instead of the original position

If you find bugs specifically related to this build, please post them here instead of the Bug reporting forum. Any feedback positive or negative should also go in here, no new threads. This way all feedback, etc related to this build will be in the one place.

ABOUT THIS BUILD:

A bunch of fixes to improve the playlist and some functionality. I've also added some new buttons for the playlist so that you can popup the relevant menus for the playlist operations, i.e File Menu, Edit Menu, etc.

Let me know if you find any issues! Also if everything is running smoothly then please let me know too! :)

Any questions or bugs related to this build should be posted here only!

Enjoy!

Cliff :)
Last edited by Cliff Cawley on April 26th, 2009, 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby logokas » April 13th, 2009, 6:23 pm

The wait time of the installer should be lengthened a bit. I often get the error that Xion.exe can't be updated because it's still running, the program shuts down properly a splitsecond after the message appears.

This was present in 112, just forgot to mention it.

EDIT: Some cosmetic errors in this playlist skin.

Bottom left has an odd glow over the text there. Bottom center appeared in this build. It just skips that area entirely. As for the scrollbar on the right, it seems a bit off grid at the top. It also doesn't scroll all the way to the bottom.

EDIT2: I just noticed this, Xion doesn't return focus to the window previously used, when you use hotkeys, ala while writing this, i hotkeyed the playlist for reference, and when i hotkeyed it again to make it go away, it didn't restore focus to firefox. Same goes for the main window.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 13th, 2009, 6:46 pm

I'm not too worried about the appearance of the Default Playlist right now, I'll clean it up some more later.

As for the focus issue, I'll take a look and see what I can do. If you show the Taskbar button you'll see it keeps focus as Xion now has focus. If you hide the window you'll see that Xion still has focus. I don't think there's anything I can really do about this.

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Jikaru » April 13th, 2009, 11:46 pm

logokas the progress bar is being drawn correctly on the playlist, the thing is the way Cliff designed the progress bar for that particular skin, it is simply duplicating the progress bar so that it extends to the end.
The bottom left I cannot explain and the scrollbar issue has been mentioned in previous builds.

Thanks for the update Cliff, will give it a test when I get back home...
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby the_man550 » April 14th, 2009, 12:29 am

I have no problems with the scrollbar, it goes perfectly to the bottom (both on my 17" and 22" screen)

One thing I don't like anyhow is that the X in the taskbar isn't turning green when you press play anymore. (I moved from the 1.0 version so it might've been like this for long). I thought it was useful and I just don't see the reason to remove it.

A little irritating that it doesn't return focus after using hotkeys as well.

Otherwise everything seems fine : ) I love the fade-in thingy, even though I noticed it takes a little longer to start xion with it activated. Still starts in less than half a second so whatever...
The new playlist was better than the old one as well, looks much more modern.
Hellouuuuuuuu
the_man550
Xion Supporter

Postby OfficerMike07 » April 14th, 2009, 5:13 am

With the addition of File, Edit, View, Add, Remove and Control buttons, I'd like for these buttons to have the same behavior as the menu strip in Windows Explorer where you can click on the File menu option, then move your mouse over the View option and have that menu expand instead. As Xion is now, I have to click each menu button individually to open it.

the_man550 Wrote:One thing I don't like anyhow is that the X in the taskbar isn't turning green when you press play anymore. (I moved from the 1.0 version so it might've been like this for long). I thought it was useful and I just don't see the reason to remove it.

This one doesn't bug me so much... there's actually play and pause icons now.
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Location: A house, Lakeland, Florida, United States, North America, Earth, Milky Way

Postby xonenine » April 14th, 2009, 6:02 am

Albumart and playlist are both updating whether they are the active window or not. :D

I seem to have lost the ability to drag/drop any skins though, whether they are .psd's, zips, or xsf's. Clicking an xsf doesn't bring up an install option, either.

Vista Home Prem., installed both as admin and w/o. :)

Edit: I installed 112 and 113 about 10 times to be sure. If I uncheck "Run Xion" at the end of install, and then run Xion, all is fine. If "Run Xion" is left checked, drag and drop and install from desktop are disabled. :)
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby Jikaru » April 14th, 2009, 9:18 am

xonenine Wrote:Albumart and playlist are both updating whether they are the active window or not. :D

I seem to have lost the ability to drag/drop any skins though, whether they are .psd's, zips, or xsf's. Clicking an xsf doesn't bring up an install option, either.

Edit: I installed 112 and 113 about 10 times to be sure. If I uncheck "Run Xion" at the end of install, and then run Xion, all is fine. If "Run Xion" is left checked, drag and drop and install from desktop are disabled. :)

I do not have this problem, tested on XP Pro SP3

Playlist Crashing Issue seems to have been resolved, at least for me...I spent a good ten minutes creating artifacts (which seem to group up over the borders now) and the pl_list and everything updated fine during this process and the artifacts disappear as soon as I release the mouse button...so awesome.

I created a new art medium with Xion and the artifacts lol:
I name it ARTifacts:

Anyways all joking aside this is what it looked like before I stopped trying and the piece on the side surrounded by a softlight-white is the ART part lol.

Thanks for the awesome fixes Cliff.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 14th, 2009, 9:39 pm

xonenine Wrote:I seem to have lost the ability to drag/drop any skins though, whether they are .psd's, zips, or xsf's. Clicking an xsf doesn't bring up an install option, either.

Ok, I can reproduce this on Windows 7 too.

I haven't got a sure fire way to fix this yet. Basically its because of the Vista/Windows 7 UAC stuff. As Xion was run from the installer, its running at an elevated level. The desktop, because its lower can no longer drag and drop things onto it and the same as double clicking a .xsf.

The fix is just to restart Xion. I'll see if there's a way I can get the installer to run Xion as a lower process, but from my research it seems to be tricky.

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby the_man550 » April 15th, 2009, 12:25 am

OfficerMike07 Wrote:
the_man550 Wrote:One thing I don't like anyhow is that the X in the taskbar isn't turning green when you press play anymore. (I moved from the 1.0 version so it might've been like this for long). I thought it was useful and I just don't see the reason to remove it.

This one doesn't bug me so much... there's actually play and pause icons now.

It might be because of my fairly big screen, but a small 10pixels (or whatever it is) icon is rather hard to see. At least much harder than to just see if it's green or yellow. +, green goes better with my theme x)
Hellouuuuuuuu
the_man550
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 15th, 2009, 12:43 am

xonenine Wrote:I seem to have lost the ability to drag/drop any skins though, whether they are .psd's, zips, or xsf's. Clicking an xsf doesn't bring up an install option, either.

I just checked out Winamp and the same thing happens! Go ahead and try it. Use the Launch Winamp after installer closes, click through the registration and then try and drag and drop an .mp3 onto the window. You won't be able to! Seems they've got the same problem. (NOTE: This is Vista/Windows7 issue)

I'll keep chipping away and see what else I can do.

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby xonenine » April 15th, 2009, 12:48 am

That sounds like a bit of a brick wall, but not too big a deal. Seems rather remiss of Microsoft tho... :)
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby Jikaru » April 15th, 2009, 3:06 am

glad you narrowed that down quickly, and again im glad im NOT using Vista or 7....after XP i'm going to a Mac...f all this shoddy crap with micro$oft.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby logokas » April 15th, 2009, 6:52 am

I second the slight redesign of the taskbar icon. It's fine in usual resolutions, but i can bet i won't see a damn thing on a 30 inch panel that runs 2560x1600. It'll be tiny, really tiny.

Some additional color to the icons might help. And maybe upsize a pixel or two. Or contrast it with a cutout box.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 15th, 2009, 8:34 pm

logokas Wrote:I second the slight redesign of the taskbar icon. It's fine in usual resolutions, but i can bet i won't see a damn thing on a 30 inch panel that runs 2560x1600. It'll be tiny, really tiny.

So would every other tray icon :)

Unfortunately Windows Tray icons are limited to 16x16 pixels.

logokas Wrote:Some additional color to the icons might help. And maybe upsize a pixel or two. Or contrast it with a cutout box.

I may make it customisable in a future build.

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Next

Return to Beta Builds