Xion Audio Player

Xion 1.0 build 118 Beta Release

Beta Builds of Xion. These are builds that are not quite ready for Release, but need feedback and bug submissions in order to move it to Release Status

Postby Cliff Cawley » July 7th, 2009, 9:15 am

logokas Wrote:Xion failed to create folders for itself in the My Documents folder, and produced error boxes for said failure.

Streamline install on XP SP3 ( Streamline install being, the installer was ran while the player was working ).

You don't have access to your own My Documents folder? What type of user did you install it as? Are there any restrictions on the user?

Not sure what you mean by 'the install was run while the player was working'. Do you mean you had a previous version of Xion already running in the background when you installed the new version? If so, the installer should have closed the existing version.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Rutabaga » July 7th, 2009, 12:55 pm

Cliff,

Xion still crashes when editing the track title format in the preferences. Although now you have to delete both parentheses from the end of the default string, not just the last one.

Should I not be editing the string in place, but instead only pasting an already built string into the text box? Or should parsing not be happening until I'm done typing (maybe when the cursor leaves the text box)?

Thanks!
Rutabaga
Xion Supporter

Postby Rutabaga » July 7th, 2009, 1:33 pm

Sorry, I have another (repeatable) crash to report, albeit a very esoteric one:
    Uninstall Xion, deleting all user files.
    Install b118, accepting the defaults.
    Let the installer run Xion.
    Answer the "check for new builds" question either way (doesn't matter).
    Wait for the "Sounds Better" promo to finish playing.
    Open the Playlist window.
    Choose Remove -> Remove All.
    Choose Add -> Add Directory and pick a music folder (I tried 2 different ones: 11 and 14 songs).
After all the songs show up in the playlist, Xion crashes.

The crash does not happen if you omit the Remove All step.
Rutabaga
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » July 7th, 2009, 3:44 pm

Rutabaga Wrote:Cliff,

Xion still crashes when editing the track title format in the preferences. Although now you have to delete both parentheses from the end of the default string, not just the last one.

Should I not be editing the string in place, but instead only pasting an already built string into the text box? Or should parsing not be happening until I'm done typing (maybe when the cursor leaves the text box)?

Thanks!

Nah, editing it in place is fine, it shouldn't be crashing though. I'll take another look, I thought I tried completely erasing the string one character at a time, but maybe I missed something.

* Edit this has been fixed for the next build :)

Last edited by Cliff Cawley on July 7th, 2009, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Cliff Cawley » July 7th, 2009, 3:44 pm

Rutabaga Wrote:Sorry, I have another (repeatable) crash to report, albeit a very esoteric one:
    Uninstall Xion, deleting all user files.
    Install b118, accepting the defaults.
    Let the installer run Xion.
    Answer the "check for new builds" question either way (doesn't matter).
    Wait for the "Sounds Better" promo to finish playing.
    Open the Playlist window.
    Choose Remove -> Remove All.
    Choose Add -> Add Directory and pick a music folder (I tried 2 different ones: 11 and 14 songs).
After all the songs show up in the playlist, Xion crashes.

The crash does not happen if you omit the Remove All step.

I'll look into reproducing this one and fixing it for next build, thanks!

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby leadfoot » July 8th, 2009, 1:46 am

That was weird: After I upgraded to 118, I couldn't play anything. Either an MP3 or an M3u dropped onto the player or playlist produced an error. I restarted today, and it started playing the playlist it complained about yesterday. Other playlists and files now work fine. I guess we file that under Unverified Failure. :?
leadfoot
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » July 8th, 2009, 9:42 am

leadfoot Wrote:That was weird: After I upgraded to 118, I couldn't play anything. Either an MP3 or an M3u dropped onto the player or playlist produced an error. I restarted today, and it started playing the playlist it complained about yesterday. Other playlists and files now work fine. I guess we file that under Unverified Failure. :?

It might be related to your sound drivers. I've seen this happen once before where the sound drivers just died. It wasn't working for a lot of audio applications, including Xion, however after rebooting it fixed the issue. A driver update later, and this hasn't occurred again.

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby leadfoot » July 8th, 2009, 11:56 am

Cliff Cawley Wrote:It might be related to your sound drivers. I've seen this happen once before where the sound drivers just died. It wasn't working for a lot of audio applications, including Xion, however after rebooting it fixed the issue. A driver update later, and this hasn't occurred again.

Hmm. Don't think that was it as I didn't reboot, just restarted Xion, and all other sound functions were working. As a test, I pulled up Winamp before and after, and it worked. I don't think the sound has ever died on this machine. The only other time I've seen this error with playlists was when a Winamp Plugin was putting non-standard items in an M3U. Removed the garbage and it's been working ever since. I'm not sure what happened here as I used one of the cleaned up playlists, and it worked with the same playlist with just a restart. Like I said: Weird.
leadfoot
Xion Supporter

Postby AphexMonkey » July 9th, 2009, 2:05 am

Thanks for the new beta Cliff!!! if i get some bug i wil report..

I'm so excited waiting the public version with audio input support!!!

Greetings!.. AM³.
AphexMonkey
Xion Supporter

Postby logokas » July 9th, 2009, 7:29 am

Cliff Cawley Wrote:
You don't have access to your own My Documents folder? What type of user did you install it as? Are there any restrictions on the user?

Not sure what you mean by 'the install was run while the player was working'. Do you mean you had a previous version of Xion already running in the background when you installed the new version? If so, the installer should have closed the existing version.

Obviously i have write access to my own Documents folder. I run everything in XP under an admin account, with no restrictions. And yes, i do mean that i had the previous version running when turning on the installer. I just figured it may have some significance to the problem.

I will try rerunning the installer to see if it adds the folders now. Since it couldn't do it last time, i'm left with an empty skin menu. I'll also look around if the old folders in the Appdata have been removed.

Odd bug indeed, but can be a headache. Or it could just be my installation screwing it up.

EDIT: Aand before i got that far i also discovered i can't add new skins, it fails to write the data, probably because it's trying to get to a folder that doesn't exist.

EDIT 2: Aand all of the previous folders are gone too. Looks like only the creation of the new folders and copying failed. Deleting the 'remains' was not a problem for it.

EDIT 3: Reinstall failed. The Error message is so: "Unable to create the folder 'Interfaces' ( Also Stations ). The system cannot find the path specified."

EDIT 4: ..Oh god, it got even worse. Uninstalling and allowing it to also remove all skins, preferences, etc, and reinstalling, now brought me to the point where the folders still weren't made, but i now also own the first Xion installation that can no longer show itself, because it has nothing to wear.

I'm stumped, i just can't figure out why it won't create the necessary folders. I could try creating them myself, though, if i knew what kind of a path they have.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Cliff Cawley » July 9th, 2009, 10:30 am

logokas Wrote:I'm stumped, i just can't figure out why it won't create the necessary folders. I could try creating them myself, though, if i knew what kind of a path they have.

Ok, I'm not sure what's going on here, so let's see if we can find out:

When you perform a fresh install, the installer creates C:\Program Files\r2 studios\Xion\Interfaces (or wherever you installed to) and places the Default.zip in there.

When you run Xion for the first time after the installation, if Xion can't find the MyDocuments\Xion folder, it will create it, along with an Interfaces folder (and some others). It should then copy the Default.zip into the new Interfaces folder.

1) So can you do a fresh install and before clicking Finish to Run Xion, have a look to make the Interfaces folder with the Default.zip was created in your installation directory. Now also check to make sure that there is no Xion folder in My Documents.

2) Now click the Finish button, which runs Xion. It should copy the Default.zip to MyDocuments\Xion\Interfaces.

I'm assuming this is where it has the copy error? I think the only reason for the error is that the destination couldn't be made, or the source doesn't exist, in which case you would have problems in the first step.

Let me know where it fails and we'll go from there.

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby SLoB » July 11th, 2009, 8:34 am

Hmm, really nasty bug, can repro it with a track, the track plays fine in winamp

At first I thought it was the ultra long album name where I was testing it in previous versions but this does not seem to make any difference.

Dragged and dropped an mp3 onto the player (from explorer) while it was playing another track in the playlist, all that happened was an iterative loop playing 1second, huge cpu spike and unresponsive, like it had locked up, it did indeed crash a few times :(.
Tried this a few times and it does it every time :(
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Cliff Cawley » July 11th, 2009, 12:04 pm

SLoB Wrote:Hmm, really nasty bug, can repro it with a track, the track plays fine in winamp

At first I thought it was the ultra long album name where I was testing it in previous versions but this does not seem to make any difference.

Dragged and dropped an mp3 onto the player (from explorer) while it was playing another track in the playlist, all that happened was an iterative loop playing 1second, huge cpu spike and unresponsive, like it had locked up, it did indeed crash a few times :(.
Tried this a few times and it does it every time :(

Can you send me the file?

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby SLoB » July 12th, 2009, 9:38 pm

sure :)