Xion Audio Player

Xion 1.0 build 124 Beta Release

Beta Builds of Xion. These are builds that are not quite ready for Release, but need feedback and bug submissions in order to move it to Release Status

Postby Deathy » November 7th, 2009, 7:05 am

Ok ok, for the icon, I think you can put this Icon for small size: Image
The current theme for the playlist:
1 : I think dad you can do this side less larger, reduce it coz it take a lot of space for nothing :) (maybe add a lil transparence on the whole theme (90%))
2 : Same as one.
3 : I think you can add Seven-like button to close the playlist and enlarge it, it will fit pretty nice, you can get a lot of space more by putting the menu (file,edit,...) and the title of the playlist with the numbers of songs on the same ligne on the top :)

So Cliff and others, gimme your opinions about theses propositions :)
Deathy
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » November 7th, 2009, 10:22 am

I think the sliders are fine, the only thing with them really is the sliderbit is too small imo, if it was bigger its perceived grab space would be more usable, I think Lance has got those pretty much bang on.
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Lance » November 7th, 2009, 1:47 pm

SLoB Wrote:I think the sliders are fine, the only thing with them really is the sliderbit is too small imo, if it was bigger its perceived grab space would be more usable, I think Lance has got those pretty much bang on.

Thanks SLoB. I'll see about making them 4 or 5 pixels longer, that should do the trick. Nice suggestion :)

OK here's the thing about the space issues. I can try and squeeze the edges a little more here and there but really, it is designed to match the main player. Everything is made to the exact pixel. I'm sure SLoB will understand me on this being a designer himself. I personally don't see a couple extra pixels around a slider being so bad, I even like the look to be honest.

However, I'm not simply dismissing this kind of feedback, I appreciate it all! I'll always do what I can to compromise but the line has to be drawn somewhere before the design starts to fail visually. A lot of thought went into the positioning of all the elements and they're where they are for a reason. Of course not everybody can agree on one thing, so this is why I opt for my own knowledge of UI in such cases. (Man, it's hard to say what I mean without sounding like a dick. I hope you're all taking me the right way lol)

Thanks to you all for your feedback though, it never falls on deaf ears. The playlist (along with other things) will be updated and tweaked before the public release. The new edits were made quickly by Cliff himself so I'll be remaking it with the original files so it's a little smoother.

Peace, Lance
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby SLoB » November 7th, 2009, 10:02 pm

I know when MS were looking at redesigning office 2007 they had loads of UX tweaks, some of those were minimum 5px spacings between objects such as buttons, slider, labels etc... And also good use of white-space is key.
So although some parts may look a little more full, they're there for a reason.

The only other options for changing as I see it is the right hand side slider would be made part of the PL UI and remove that bigger right hand edge completely, then move the prog slider left so the resize corner can be still there. The close button would shift left to compensate.
That would give a perceived slimmer version so the right hand side would mimic the left.
It would still be usable in that form.
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Lance » November 8th, 2009, 3:21 am

Thanks again dude. I've considered putting the slider on the screen too but I wanted to keep all sliders universal. I think I'ma revisit that idea again though as it does make sense visually.

Peace, Lance
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby xonenine » November 8th, 2009, 10:27 am

I like the playlist myself, but if I wanted anything, it would be working areas to click instead of scroll on the top and bottom of slider.The slider moves too fast for me. :)
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby dragoon » November 8th, 2009, 12:49 pm

Me being picky again: The "Autoplay on Start" option seems like it could be expanded. I use a laptop pretty often, and I don't always want it to autostart. Maybe there could be an option to "use previous playing state" so if I was playing something it would resume play, or if I had it stopped when I closed it it would open and do nothing. I also use different playlists for my geographical location since it wouldn't help me keep my job if my laptop started yelling expletives.

:D
dragoon
Xion Supporter

Postby vprimachenko » November 10th, 2009, 1:27 am

Cliff Cawley Wrote:So you can't add files with an uppercase extension? Is that the problem?

exactly
vprimachenko
Xion Supporter

Postby logokas » November 10th, 2009, 5:53 am

Player crashes if a Shoutcast server suddenly stops responding.

Also the error message you get if a file doesn't play is rather ugly imo. Can you just make it skip to the next one and mark the file in the playlist as unplayable? Maybe force it's font color to red or something of the sort?
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby xonenine » November 11th, 2009, 2:00 pm

Despite my complaining bout the visualizations sharing the same window I have to say they both run smooth and respond real nice.Thanks for your hard work Cliff! :)
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby Cliff Cawley » November 12th, 2009, 12:45 am

dragoon Wrote:Me being picky again: The "Autoplay on Start" option seems like it could be expanded. I use a laptop pretty often, and I don't always want it to autostart. Maybe there could be an option to "use previous playing state" so if I was playing something it would resume play, or if I had it stopped when I closed it it would open and do nothing. I also use different playlists for my geographical location since it wouldn't help me keep my job if my laptop started yelling expletives.

I've changed this behaviour for build 125 so that Xion remembers the last Play State and restores it on Startup. I've renamed the 'Autoplay on Start' to 'Restore play mode on Startup'.

So now when you pause a song and close Xion, upon restarting Xion, it will be paused at the last position. If you left it playing, Xion will start playing, and if you left it stopped, it will be stopped.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Cliff Cawley » November 12th, 2009, 1:05 am

vprimachenko Wrote:
Cliff Cawley Wrote:So you can't add files with an uppercase extension? Is that the problem?

exactly

I can't reproduce this in build 124. I think this was a bug in an old build? Are you sure you're on 124?

If so, how are you reproducing it?
1) Are you dragging and dropping the files
2) Are you using the menus in the Playlist and choosing Add File
3) Are you using the menu on the Main player and choosing Add File
4) Are are you double clicking files in explorer
5) Are you using the open button on the main skin?
6) Are you adding a folder that contains a file with the uppercase extension?

Also, which version of Windows are you using that is causing the issue?

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Cliff Cawley » November 12th, 2009, 1:09 am

logokas Wrote:Player crashes if a Shoutcast server suddenly stops responding.

How do I reproduce that? I've tried just disabling/cutting my net connection but it handles it and attempts to play the next song in the list instead of crashing.

logokas Wrote:Also the error message you get if a file doesn't play is rather ugly imo. Can you just make it skip to the next one and mark the file in the playlist as unplayable? Maybe force it's font color to red or something of the sort?

Possibly, I'll come up with something better after the release.

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Cliff Cawley » November 12th, 2009, 1:09 am

xonenine Wrote:Despite my complaining bout the visualizations sharing the same window I have to say they both run smooth and respond real nice.Thanks for your hard work Cliff! :)

Thanks xonenine!

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby logokas » November 12th, 2009, 5:07 am

Cliff Cawley Wrote:
logokas Wrote:Player crashes if a Shoutcast server suddenly stops responding.

How do I reproduce that? I've tried just disabling/cutting my net connection but it handles it and attempts to play the next song in the list instead of crashing.

That's odd.

I had a SHOUTCast radio die on me, though others reported it was still working so i figured it was a problem on my end and a DNS somewhere in between just failed at me.

But it know for certain it was a sudden death. The error came up and the player played out what was left in the buffer, and then stopped. The crash was a visual C++ one, too.

I'll look into this station more, leave this as untreated for now. Anomalies are bound to happen, i guess.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Beta Builds