Xion Audio Player

Xion 1.0 build 92 Beta Release

Beta Builds of Xion. These are builds that are not quite ready for Release, but need feedback and bug submissions in order to move it to Release Status

Postby Cliff Cawley » February 12th, 2008, 10:53 pm

WARNING:
This is a Beta Build. That means it has fixes and features that are NEW. It is also possible it has bugs that are NEW! If you are looking for stability, please don't expect this build to be perfectly stable. It may have issues. If on the other hand you are happy to try this build out and post any bugs back in this thread, then please do!

Download Installer Version:
r2 Studios Server -> http://www.r2.com.au/downloads/files/beta/qa-xion_v1.0b92.exe
OR
Xion Server -> http://xion.r2.com.au/download/beta/qa-xion_v1.0b92.exe

Changelist:
  • Modify Default Hotkeys so that they don't conflict with Photoshop History
  • Fix crash when button only has _over layer and nothing else
  • Add work around for when skinners add objects such as text into an animation set. They should instead be using action_layer_show/action_layer_hide instead
  • Go through clean up char usage, fixing some strncpy's
  • Fix filename causing problem when playing
  • Fix buttons incorrectly updating when mouse button is held on them, while an animation is executing - Nice find ALAS, thanks!
  • Enable Global Optimizations and some other optimization options for Release Mode
  • Optimize the RenderVisualisationToPixelData function to use flat array instead of multidimension
  • Set Optimizations:References to Default as "Eliminate Unreferenced Data (/OPT:REF)"

If you find bugs specifically related to this build, please post them here instead of the Bug reporting forum. Any feedback positive or negative should also go in here, no new threads. This way all feedback, etc related to this build will be in the one place.

ABOUT THIS BUILD:

Thanks to everyone who reported the issues, I've now fixed all previous issues and optimized a bit more by using some linker/compiler optimizations to help clean up some more. Let me know what you find! If no crashes/serious error, build 83 will go public!

Enjoy!

Cliff :)
Last edited by Cliff Cawley on February 13th, 2008, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby ALAS » February 13th, 2008, 1:37 am

I want my library back! :x

edit: (later) that´s strange, I now reinstalled build 84, but still no library
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby SLoB » February 13th, 2008, 6:24 am

Looking good so far Cliff :)

I still need to re-fix Amorbous heh
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby ALAS » February 13th, 2008, 6:31 am

wow, this seems to be really bug-free, congratulations for that , Cliff!
and it needs less CPU (eg on an old machine one skin needed 65% with build 84, now 40%-on newer machines it is almost always 0%)

One (minor) issue is: at the open button, as long as the open browser is present, the over state of the open button reacts like open_down (good to see using the test-ggc flip I sent to you)

even minor is this: the transition between _down and _over again seems to be rather abrupt (and delayed) compared to older builds. This one also is good to see in Lissabon (eg back or forward). This "bug" is as I mentioned really minor, you don´t realize it in most skins, I could live with that just wanted to mention it....

another thing is as far as I can remember for loading interfaces it was ok to use a layer named "button loadinterface(XY)" now I had to replace it by "button modify(XY) action_load_interface". I don´t remember any detail, and that´s why I ask here, was the first command completely replaced by the last one?
Again, I can live with the one and the other...

I´m shure the next build will be perfect...
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » February 13th, 2008, 7:42 am

ALAS Wrote:I want my library back! :x

I've disabled it by default. Open up the right click menu, go to Configure->Components and re-enable it :)

I've decided to do this as it was the source of crashes for a lot of new users. I could always turn it back on I guess.

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Cliff Cawley » February 13th, 2008, 7:48 am

ALAS Wrote:wow, this seems to be really bug-free, congratulations for that , Cliff!
and it needs less CPU (eg on an old machine one skin needed 65% with build 84, now 40%-on newer machines it is almost always 0%)

Thanks, yes I've been optimizing it a lot. Comparing it now to build 82, you should see large improvements in speed ;)

ALAS Wrote:One (minor) issue is: at the open button, as long as the open browser is present, the over state of the open button reacts like open_down (good to see using the test-ggc flip I sent to you)

Ah yes, a very small one :D Nonetheless if these are the only bugs, I'll fix them.

ALAS Wrote:even minor is this: the transition between _down and _over again seems to be rather abrupt (and delayed) compared to older builds. This one also is good to see in Lissabon (eg back or forward). This "bug" is as I mentioned really minor, you don´t realize it in most skins, I could live with that just wanted to mention it....

Ah this one is interesting, will look into it tonight (I can reproduce here) :)

ALAS Wrote:another thing is as far as I can remember for loading interfaces it was ok to use a layer named "button loadinterface(XY)" now I had to replace it by "button modify(XY) action_load_interface". I don´t remember any detail, and that´s why I ask here, was the first command completely replaced by the last one?

Oh, its possible this is a bug, I'll check it out tonight, thanks! :)

ALAS Wrote:I´m shure the next build will be perfect...

Here's hoping! :D If some more people could give this build a bash too, it would help in finding any last minute nasties!

Thanks!

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby zakai1369 » February 13th, 2008, 9:09 am

Just downloaded this to try out. When I bring up the playlist window and try to add a directory to it it allowed me to add a couple of them with only about 200 files in each without a problem. When I try to add my main music folder with about 7500 files in it, it crashes and closes Xion every time.

Also after reading this thread I went into the Configure Xion panel and tried to turn on the simple library and that also crashes it every time as soon as i hit the enable button.
zakai1369
Xion Supporter

Postby ALAS » February 13th, 2008, 7:39 pm

Cliff Cawley Wrote:
ALAS Wrote:I want my library back! :x

I've disabled it by default. Open up the right click menu, go to Configure->Components and re-enable it :)

I've decided to do this as it was the source of crashes for a lot of new users. I could always turn it back on I guess.

oh ok, worked here (at work, here Xion had never seen the library before, so first time installation)
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » February 13th, 2008, 7:46 pm

ALAS Wrote:One (minor) issue is: at the open button, as long as the open browser is present, the over state of the open button reacts like open_down (good to see using the test-ggc flip I sent to you)

Ok this has been fixed for the next build

ALAS Wrote:even minor is this: the transition between _down and _over again seems to be rather abrupt (and delayed) compared to older builds. This one also is good to see in Lissabon (eg back or forward). This "bug" is as I mentioned really minor, you don´t realize it in most skins, I could live with that just wanted to mention it....

This one is your fault! :P You have a layer that has 1% transparency, so when it fades out, it fades over like only a couple of frames, so looks like it 'snaps' very quickly. Its just how you made it :)

ALAS Wrote:another thing is as far as I can remember for loading interfaces it was ok to use a layer named "button loadinterface(XY)" now I had to replace it by "button modify(XY) action_load_interface". I don´t remember any detail, and that´s why I ask here, was the first command completely replaced by the last one?

Hah this is your fault again!! :P Basically what you were doing was illegal. You've basically said you want it to be a button. No you want it to be a loadinterface. So Xion got confused, as they are both valid object types, it chose the first one, button. Previously it would have worked only out of error. I've put better checking in now.

This one isn't a bug!

To fix, just remove 'button' from the front and leave loadinterface(X) as you had it.

Its the same thing as going 'play volumelr'. This can't work, it will take on the function of play.

Saying that, loadinterface, even though it has ( and ), still support _over and _down.

So you could have loadinterface_down(MySkin) :)

Anyway, not a bug ;)

ALAS Wrote:I´m shure the next build will be perfect...

Heh, thanks! And thanks for all the testing you've been doing! ;)

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby sp3ctum » February 13th, 2008, 9:04 pm

I checked the global hotkeys page at the settings, and it seems like updating to this build has changed my volume up and down hotkeys to ctrl+shift+num 2 (and 8 ). No problem there, since they can be changed. But then I tried the normal hotkeys that I have (I use ctrl+shift+up (and down - I mean the basic arrow buttons), and they still work.

Now I don't mind this, but it doesn't make a lot of sense. Just thought I'd report it even though it still works.

Oh, another thing. When I bring up the playlist via a hotkey (I use ctrl+shift+P), and press the hotkey again, the playlist gets hidden but the focus seems to be at the xion window (the player).
Then I tested some keys to see if it really was in the player, and I ended up hitting enter a couple of times. It goes to the start of my playlist, and when I hold down enter, the whole player freezes in a way.
The active song name area shows the first song in the playlist, but xion doesn't play anything. Then when I try to play another song from the playlist by double clicking it, it clears the duration for that song and does nothing else. Thus I'm unable to play anything without a restart of Xion.
It's really odd.

Summary:
- playlist hiding via hotkey works, but xion keeps the focus
- flooding enter makes the player freeze. requires a restart as far as I can tell.
sp3ctum
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » February 13th, 2008, 10:35 pm

sp3ctum Wrote:I checked the global hotkeys page at the settings, and it seems like updating to this build has changed my volume up and down hotkeys to ctrl+shift+num 2 (and 8 ). No problem there, since they can be changed. But then I tried the normal hotkeys that I have (I use ctrl+shift+up (and down - I mean the basic arrow buttons), and they still work.

Now I don't mind this, but it doesn't make a lot of sense. Just thought I'd report it even though it still works.

This sounds like you're reading the 'Default' hotkeys. Check out the Hotkeys tab again and you'll notice your current shortcut listed under the name. Then on the right hand side you'll see the 'default: x' where it shows you what the default shortcut is.

If you Install over the top, it will NEVER overwrite your settings. Therefore your hotkeys will stay the same. If you uninstall and then reinstall, well...your settings will be changed to the defaults that are listed there.

sp3ctum Wrote:Oh, another thing. When I bring up the playlist via a hotkey (I use ctrl+shift+P), and press the hotkey again, the playlist gets hidden but the focus seems to be at the xion window (the player).

This is working perfectly. You're basically showing Xion again with the hot key. Because the windows are all linked together, it shows the main Xion process. Hiding the window again still leaves Xion in focus.

sp3ctum Wrote:Then I tested some keys to see if it really was in the player, and I ended up hitting enter a couple of times. It goes to the start of my playlist, and when I hold down enter, the whole player freezes in a way.
The active song name area shows the first song in the playlist, but xion doesn't play anything. Then when I try to play another song from the playlist by double clicking it, it clears the duration for that song and does nothing else. Thus I'm unable to play anything without a restart of Xion.
It's really odd.

Pressing enter on the main window gets the playlist to play whatever song is highlighted. Holding it down will spam it. I tried just then and its working fine here. Its possible that by holding it down you're causing a race condition and its nuking the thread and causing problems. I'll look at fixing it when I can reproduce it, for now its nothing major.

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby sp3ctum » February 13th, 2008, 11:04 pm

I'll explain my thoughts a bit more :)

About the focus, I assumed it's designed to give the focus back to the program that had it before the hotkey was pressed. If this is not the case, then no problem here.
Showing the player via a hotkey does what I thought it would do with the playlist as well.

But I'm positive I'm not reading the default hotkeys. The update has seemingly (!) reset my hotkeys from

ctrl+shift+up
ctrl+shift+down

to

ctrl+alt+num 8
ctrl+alt+num 2.
The old hotkeys still work; that's why I presume this is a glitch.

About the third bug I wrote about, I too don't think that's very important. I think it occurred to me when I was writing, and wanted to use the playlist for a while. The focus didn't then transfer, and my enter strokes made xion glitch.
sp3ctum
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » February 13th, 2008, 11:31 pm

sp3ctum Wrote:I'll explain my thoughts a bit more :)

About the focus, I assumed it's designed to give the focus back to the program that had it before the hotkey was pressed. If this is not the case, then no problem here.
Showing the player via a hotkey does what I thought it would do with the playlist as well.

But I'm positive I'm not reading the default hotkeys. The update has seemingly (!) reset my hotkeys from

ctrl+shift+up
ctrl+shift+down

to

ctrl+alt+num 8
ctrl+alt+num 2.
The old hotkeys still work; that's why I presume this is a glitch.

About the third bug I wrote about, I too don't think that's very important. I think it occurred to me when I was writing, and wanted to use the playlist for a while. The focus didn't then transfer, and my enter strokes made xion glitch.

It will never reset unless the Settings.dat file didn't exist, or if you uninstalled and reinstalled. If you just reinstalled over the top, it will keep your settings.

If your old hotkeys are still working, I'd assume that's because they are still set. Send me a screenshot or post on here of the hotkeys screen and I'll see what I can see.

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby sp3ctum » February 13th, 2008, 11:44 pm

Okay, here's a screenshot:
http://aycu29.webshots.com/image/43108/2003808777921547894_rs.jpg
I hope it helps.
sp3ctum
Xion Supporter

Postby ALAS » February 14th, 2008, 12:50 am

Cliff Cawley Wrote:

Hah this is your fault again!! :P Basically what you were doing was illegal. You've basically said you want it to be a button. No you want it to be a loadinterface. So Xion got confused, as they are both valid object types, it chose the first one, button. Previously it would have worked only out of error. I've put better checking in now.

This one isn't a bug!

To fix, just remove 'button' from the front and leave loadinterface(X) as you had it.

Its the same thing as going 'play volumelr'. This can't work, it will take on the function of play.

Saying that, loadinterface, even though it has ( and ), still support _over and _down.

hah, you got me! :-)

The latter one I didn´t know that´s why I did it like I did it!

So everyything´s fine now! Then the skins I sent to you are correct now (used button modify(mySkin) action_load_interface, which is also legal, right?)
So I would suggest You just replace the old ones and leave the old names. :-)
ALAS
Xion Fan

Next

Return to Beta Builds